Last year, Apple removed the physical SIM card slots from the iPhone 14 lineup in the US, the journey continues with the iPhone 15 lineup. It’s worth noting that the dual eSIM functionality is available exclusively in the US versions of iPhones.
The iPhone 15 being sold in other parts of the world comes with an eSIM as well as a physical SIM card slot. But, if you are residing in the United States and are a new user of the iPhone 15 or the iPhone 15 Pro models and are a bit lost on how to get the eSIM stuff working, you’ve come to the right place.
As we stated above, none of the iPhone 15 models in the United States come with a physical SIM slot. Having a device that supports only embedded SIM has a lot of benefits such as being able to quickly and easily activate the eSIM at home itself. Additionally, adopting eSIM enhances your phone’s water resistance. In the future, we might even see eSIM-only variants of iPhones across the globe, eliminating physical SIM card slots altogether.
Table of Contents
What is an eSIM on the iPhone 15 Series?
An eSIM is nothing but a digital SIM card that you can use with your iPhone. You can easily activate your number, SIM services, and monthly mobile data plan. At least when you use an iPhone, you can store up to 8 SIM cards on your device and use two at the same time. It does everything a physical SIM does, just the fact that one is digital and one is physical.
Preparations and Prerequisites:
- WiFi Network
- Your Apple iPhone 15 or 15 Pro
- Network Provider that support embedded-SIM services
How to Set Up eSIM on iPhone 15 and 15 Pro
You can easily set up and use the embedded-SIM on your iPhone 15 and 15 Pro. The best part about all of this is that there are multiple ways for you to follow.
How to Use eSIM Carrier Activation on iPhone 15 and 15 Pro
You can make use of this method if your older phone is an Android that has a physical SIM. The eSIM Carrier Activation process is the best and fastest way to use an embedded-SIM on your new iPhone 15 or 15 Pro. But, before you get ahead with this step, make sure that you have contacted your network provider that you will be requiring an eSIM. This needs to be done as soon as you set up your Apple iPhone 15 or 15 Pro.
- Once your network provider has accepted your request for an eSIM on your Apple iPhone, you will get a notification on your iPhone right away.
- Open Settings and tap on the Provider Mobile Data Ready to be installed message.
- You need to tap on the Continue option displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, you need to test and see if the embedded-SIM has been activated by making a call either from your iPhone to your iPhone using another device.
- If the call goes through, the setup is done. If not, you will have to contact the network provider and ask them to verify what the issue seems to be.
How to Convert Physical SIM to eSIM on iPhone 15 or 15 Pro
Now, it can be possible that your network provider tells you that you will have to convert the physical SIM to an embedded-SIM by yourself. Well, even this process is simple and easy. Just follow the steps we have mentioned below.
- On your iPhone 15 or 15 Pro, launch the Settings app.
- Now, tap on Mobile Data.
- You should see an option called Convert to eSIM. Make sure to tap on it.
- If your network provider has this option you will see the option.
- Now, tap on Connect Mobile Data Plan followed by Convert to eSIM.
- Wait for a few hours to get the service activated.
- Once activated, you remove the physical SIM from the iPhone.
Do note that this method will work only for those iPhone 15 models that have a physical SIM slot. The iPhones in the United States will not be able to make use of this feature. However, you can use this method on older iPhones using both the physical SIM card and the embedded-SIM card.
How to Transfer eSIM from Old iPhone to iPhone 15 or 15 Pro
You can use this method to easily transfer your eSIM from an older iPhone to your new iPhone 15 or 15 Pro. The process is straightforward. Let’s get started.
- On your iPhone 15 launch the Settings app followed by Mobile Data and finally Add Data Plan.
- You can now choose the mobile data plan that you wish to use on the new iPhone. But, if you do not see any type of plan, simply tap on Transfer from another iPhone.
- Make note that the older iPhone needs to be running on at least iOS 16.
- Your older iPhone will now display a Transfer message. Tap on it to begin the transfer. If not, you will be asked to enter a verification code on the new iPhone.
- In a few minutes, the new data plan will be activated on your new iPhone. The eSIM on your older iPhone will now be deactivated.
- A Finish Setting Up banner will appear on your new iPhone. Tap on it to complete the network provider setup.
How to Setup eSIM for iPhone on AT&T Network
You can easily set an eSIM on your iPhone 15 if you have the AT&T Cellular Network by following these steps
- Launch your Web Browser and visit the AT&T website. Make sure to sign in with your AT&T account credentials.
- Now, click on the My Device option.
- Here, you will have to select the model of the phone you are using. In this case, select iPhone 15.
- Now, click on Options and Settings and finally click on get a new eSIM.
- You will have to enter the necessary details.
How to Setup eSIM For iPhone on Verizon Network
IPhone 15 owners who have Verizon cellular service can follow the below steps to set up the carrier.
- Launch the My Version app on your iPhone or simply visit the website.
- Now, simply select the device that you want to set up the Verizon SIM on.
- You will have to create your eSIM profile and enter the necessary details.
Additionally, you can ask Verizon to send you a QR Code that contains all the details for you to set up your carrier network.
How to Setup eSIM For iPhone on T-Mobile Network
T-Mobile is another great cellular network that has a lot of customers. If you are one of them who is upgrading to the iPhone 15, you can follow these steps to activate new carrier.
- Launch the T-Mobile app on your iPhone or simply visit the T-Mobile website.
- Make sure to sign in with your T-Mobile account credentials.
- Now, select the device. In this case, you select iPhone 15.
- Now, you need to set up an eSIM profile.
- Fill in the information that is required by T-Mobile.
- The instructions will be displayed on the screen itself.
Or, just like how Verizon lets you scan a QR Code to set up your embedded-SIM, T-Mobile also provides you with the option to quickly set up and activate your eSIM with the help of the QR Code.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily choose from several ways to set up and activate your eSIM on the brand-new iPhone 15. With eSIM becoming more of a standard on the high-end flagship devices from various brands, it is only time we see the eSIM setup become much simpler and easier when the technology trickles down to the middle and lower end of the budget smartphones.
Soon we will also be seeing how you can transfer your embedded-SIM from an iPhone to an Android or from Android to other Android smartphones very soon.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
- How to Set Up and Use Personal Voice on iPhone [iOS 17]
- How to Set up and Customize Contact Posters on iPhone [iOS 17]
- How to use NameDrop on iPhones (iOS 17)
- How to Use Standby Mode on iPhone [iOS 17]
- How to use Apple Maps Offline on iPhone [iOS 17]
- Protect Your Eyes with Screen Distance Feature on iPhone
- How to Activate eSIM on Pixel 7, 7a, and 7 Pro
- Download iPhone 15 (Pro) Wallpapers [4K Resolution]