Chromebooks are great devices that can be used to do your regular homework as well as perfect for students who are in the primary sections. Since this is a Chromebook, you get easy access to a good number of Google apps and services. One accessibility feature that a lot of these Chromebook users have been looking around for is the ability to record their screens. Thankfully, Chromebook users now can make use of a screen recording tool present within the OS instead of having to download a third-party app to rely on screen recording.
In today’s guide, we will be taking a look at how you can easily make use of the built-in screen recording of any Google Chromebook device. Let’s get started.
Google’s Chromebooks have two ways that you can follow to screen record. Both of the ways have tools that are built- into the operating system itself. Now, let’s take a look at how you can screen record easily.
How to Screen Record on Chromebook from System Tray
The first method that you can use to screen record is the basic simple tool that is present within the System Tray / Quick Settings flyout. This tool has been present for a long time and can record your screens.
Now, follow these steps.
- On the Chromebook Shelf bar, you should see the time displayed on the right.
- Tap on the System Tray (or clock) to open up the Quick Settings menu.
- At the top right corner of the Quick Settings panel, you will see an arrow.
- Click on the arrow to expand the menu in the Quick Panel.
- You should now see a Screen Capture tile.
- Clicking on the Screen Capture tile will display a bar at the bottom of the screen with some options.
- Click on the Video icon. You can now choose to record either partially, full screen or just an active open window.
- You can click on the Settings icon on the bar to choose between recording audio from the microphone, enabling the camera to adjust the save location for the screen recordings.
- Once you have made all the necessary adjustments, tap on the Record option.
- The screen recording will now begin.
This is how you can easily screen record on your Google Chromebook device for free. Now that you know the first method, let’s take a look at the second method to screen record on a Google Chromebook.
How to Screen Record on Chromebook using Screencast App
We have seen how you can screen record your Chromebook using the built-in tool from the Quick Panel. Now, let’s take a look at the second method which makes use of an app that is built right into the Chromebook OS itself.
- On the Shelf bar present at the bottom of the screen, click on the app drawer icon present at the bottom left of the Shelf bar.
- The app drawer should now open on your screen.
- Search and click on the Screencast app. This will be an app with a green colored icon.
- Once you launch the app, you will see a button that says. New screencast. Click on it.
- You should now see the same screen recording bar from the first method.
- You can choose whether you want audio and camera-enabled as well as change or adjust the save folder for your screen recordings.
This is how you can use screen recording in your Chromebook in two different ways. Since these are free ways to get the work done, there is no need for you to download additional tools to screen record. However, we do hope to see better features and options being made available for the built-in screen recording tools so that it makes it even easier for the user to screen record instantly on the go. Options such as audio and video quality can be great settings that can be used to adjust the quality and size of the video.