Xiaomi phones are always a favorite if you want to try some custom development works like custom ROMs, Root, Modules, etc. Recently Xiaomi released the new entry-level phone tagged as Redmi 10. The Redmi series is quite popular for its low price and good performance. If you get hands on Redmi 10 and want to root it, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to Root Redmi 10 and how to unlock bootloader of Redmi 10.
Redmi 10 comes with decent specifications. It features a 6.5-inch FHD display. And yes, it has up to 90Hz refresh rate support. It runs on the latest Android 11 based MIUI 12.5 OS. It comes with the new Helio G88 processor from MediaTek. You don’t believe this budget phone has a 50MP main camera along with an 8MP ultrawide, 2MP macro, and 2MP depth sensor. Even if they have used the high pixel camera to look good on the spec sheet, it still performs better than many phones.
There can be many reasons to choose a Xiaomi phone, and two of them are MIUI and vast custom development projects. Developers like to build and port custom ROMs, Recoveries, Themes, and more for Xiaomi phones. And if you don’t want to install a custom ROM but still want advanced features, you can root Redmi 10. Here in this guide, we will also share how to unlock the bootloader of Redmi 10.
How to Root Redmi 10
Xiaomi phones are easy to root compared to other phones. There are many advantages to root an Android phone as it brings all the advanced features, including those that are disabled by default. It is a lot helpful if you know the advance of the root. But if not, then still you can try out most of its features. Some of the basic features are custom fonts, boot animation, third party themes, and more. Since root requires the bootloader to be unlocked first, let’s check how to unlock bootloader on Redmi 10.
Unlock Bootloader of Redmi 10
Like other Android phones, Redmi 10 also comes with a locked bootloader that restricts modifying. Luckily Xiaomi allows us to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi phones. Also, the process to unlock Xiaomi phones is easier than many other OEMs. You can follow the given steps to unlock bootloader of your Redmi 10.
- Begin with taking a full backup of your phone as the Unlocking bootloader will wipe all the data.
- Next download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your Redmi 10 and Sign in to Mi Account. Then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Go to Settings again and then go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To open developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging in the developer options.
- Switch on the internet connection on your phone with the same number that you used in the Mi account (this will help to unlock easily). Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Turn off your device, then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Redmi 10 into Fastboot mode. Let go both button when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone screen.
- Connect your Computer to Internet, then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Redmi 10.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Redmi 10, and this will erase all the data.
Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can verify it in Developer Options. The OEM Unlocking must be enabled after restart. And after confirming you are good to proceed with the root process. Check out the requirement section containing files and tools for the root process.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Redmi 10 firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Redmi 10 with Magisk
- Copy the Redmi 10 firmware to your computer and extract the boot.img file. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk application and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Look for the boot.img file and select it. It will start patching the boot image.
- You can find the output magisk_patched.img file in the download folder.
- Copy the output file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img. If you are using platform tools, copy the file to platform tools folder.
- Now reboot your Redmi 10 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Redmi 10.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
You can check for root access using any third party app from Play Store. And once you verified the root access on your Redmi 10, you are all set to experience all advanced features. There are many apps and features that require root access and now you can use them all. As you know Xiaomi phones show ads on some system apps that you can disable with root access. You can use different Xposed Modules to customize your phone. Also, you can install Xposed Framework on your phone to use modules.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Redmi 10 and how to unlock bootloader of Redmi 10. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: