Xiaomi has recently released its budget flagship device globally with the name Poco F2 Pro. It is a rebranded version of Redmi K30 Pro that comes with the same design as well as specifications. Poco is the Xiaomi’s sub brand known for popular flagship devices at a budget price. Poco F2 Pro is a new edition to the series, and it comes at aggressive pricing. Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro comes with MIUI 11 based Android 10 and can be customizable. But if you want advanced options, then you can easily root your phone. Here you will know how to root Poco F2 Pro and how to unlock bootloader on Poco F2 Pro.
Xiaomi phones come with MIUI, which is highly customizable, but it also comes with Ads and many apps that we don’t use. This is the reason that users go for custom ROMs and custom recoveries. Also, you can enjoy the MIUI without ads and bloatware by flashing the Xiaomi.eu ROM. The Poco F2 Pro is a powerful device with a lot of capabilities to leave behind many popular phones in the performance race. It comes with the latest Snapdragon 865 Processor with X55 Modem and Adreno 650 GPU. The phone also comes with a popup selfie camera for bezel less display.
There are many advantages of rooting an Android phone. Rooting brings many features like support for custom boot animation, custom fonts, third party themes, and much more. If you like customization, then you might know about the Xposed framework. And rooting allows us to install Xposed Modules for advanced customization. In this guide, we will also share a guide to unlock bootloader of Poco F2 Pro, which is required for rooting the device.
How to Root Poco F2 Pro
Xiaomi is one of the popular smartphone brands when it comes to custom development. This is one of the main reasons that many users are opting Xiaomi phones over other brand phones. Xiaomi gives liberty to its users to unlock the bootloader, flash firmware, and more. Rooting Xiaomi phones are very easy, but still, you need to follow the correct steps to avoid bootloop issue. There is more than one method to Root Poco F2 Pro, such as using a custom recovery or a patched boot image. Here in this guide, we will use the patched boot image as currently, the TWRP Recovery is not available for the device. But as you know, rooting Android phones requires unlocking bootloader, so first, we will share how to unlock bootloader on Poco F2 Pro.
Poco F2 Pro Unlock Bootloader
Poco phones come with MIUI, and so it also follows the same process as other Xiaomi phones for unlocking the bootloader. In any kind of system modification like installing custom Recovery, custom ROMs, rooting, flashing custom boot animation, all these require an unlocked bootloader. This is one of the strongest areas for Xiaomi as there is no restriction on unlocking bootloader, so users have the liberty to play with their phones as they want. Let’s now check out the method to unlock the bootloader of Poco F2 Pro.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on Poco F2 Pro will delete all the data of your phone.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more then 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Now you have to enable developer options, so go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Then open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Poco F2 Pro into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco F2 Pro.
- When it detects your phone, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro, and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stop at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
Once the bootloader is unlocked on your Poco F2 Pro, you are all set to root your phone. Before rooting, if you are worried that you will be able to remove the root or not. Yes, you can easily remove root access from your phone whenever you want. You just need to flash the Magisk uninstaller, and you are good to go. Let now jump into rooting steps.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Poco F2 Pro
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download the firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed)
Root Poco F2 Pro with Magisk Patched Image
- First, copy the downloaded Magisk Manager apk on your phone and install it.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC. Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file. It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the patched file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb. And rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to C:\adb folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here.’
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Poco F2 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When device boot into the system, open the Magisk Manager app and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all, now your Poco F2 Pro is successfully rooted.
By default Xiaomi comes with a lot of disadvantages despite being a good piece of hardware, it is because of unnecessary ads, unnecessary applications, data breach issues, and more. So it is better to root the phone or install a custom ROM like Pixel Experience for best performance. After rooting you can block ads on MIUI, also you can remove pre-installed apps and many other functions that are not available by default.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Poco F2 Pro along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Poco F2 Pro. If you have any questions on your mind let us know in the comment section.