If you are looking for an easy guide to Root Xiaomi Mi 9 then this guide is perfect for you. Here I will explain How to Root Mi 9 with Magisk and How to install TWRP & Xiaomi.eu ROM. I will keep the guide simple and clean for your convenience.
Xiaomi is one of the brands which allows users to unlock bootloader without voiding the warranty. Also, it is a favorite brand in the development area. Just after the launch of Xiaomi Mi 9, some developers have already started working on its mods like TWRP Recovery, Magisk, and custom ROMs. So if you want to install a custom recovery or custom ROM on Mi 9 then this guide is definitely for you. TWRP recovery is a must to have if you want to root or any other modifications. So let’s first go with how to Install TWRP Recovery and then how to root the Xiaomi Mi 9.
How to Root Xiaomi Mi 9
If you are new to rooting process then make sure to follow each step carefully otherwise you may end up bricking your phone. Magisk is the best option to root any phone seamless. It also provides features like modules and Magisk hide. If you use payment apps like Google Pay, PhonePe etc then Magisk hide will help to avoid detecting root for these apps. And the main reason to use Magisk for Root is that it is a very easy and reliable method. First read all the prerequisites before you begin the process.
- Make sure to unlock the bootloader first
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download and Install Xiaomi drivers on PC
- Download and Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- Download the following files (in PC)
- Follow the procedure carefully
Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 9
- Unlock Bootloader of your phone (skip this step if already done).
- Download TWRP Recovery image on your PC.
- Go to location C:\adb (if you have installed ADB & Fastboot driver then the location will be available).
- Copy TWRP Recovery image file to C:\adb.
- Rename TWRP Recovery image to twrp.img (twrp-3.2.3-10-cepheus-mauronofrio.img to twrp.img).
- Completly power off your phone.
- Press & Hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your Mi 9 to PC with USB cable.
- In C:\adb, press Shift & Right click together and click on “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open Command window here”.
- In Command window enter the command: fastboot devices (It will show device id if your phone is connected properly). It means you are ready to install TWRP recovery on Mi 9.
- Enter the following command to flash TWRP recovery
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now TWRP Recovery is installed on your Mi 9, but do not restart your phone now.
Once you have installed TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 9 then you are ready to root your phone. Remember do not restart your phone now otherwise it will replace with stock recovery. Follow the next method to avoid replacing TWRP recovery.
Root Xiaomi Mi 9 with Magisk & Install Xiaomi.eu ROM
- After Installing TWRP Recovery boot your phone into TWRP Recovery manually (Press & Hold Volume Up + Power button together).
- In TWRP Recovery, go to Wipe > Format data and type “yes” to format (This is important as everything is encrypted by default in TWRP).
- Go back to TWRP home and then go to Reboot > Recovery.
- Now transfer Xiaomi.eu, Magisk APK and Magisk Zip file to phone from PC while in TWRP recovery.
- In TWRP Recovery, Go to Install and locate Xiaomi.eu ROM (xiaomi.eu_multi_MI9_9.3.21_v10-9.zip) and flash it.
- After flashing Xiaomi.eu ROM again go to Install and locate Magisk.zip and then flash it.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and set up the phone. Now Install Magisk APK to check if Magisk is installed properly. If Magisk.zip is installed properly then you can skip upcoming steps.
- If the Magisk zip is not installed, then enable Developer Options (Settings > My Device > All Specs and tap on MIUI version 7-8 times). Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer options and enable “Extended Power Menu”.
- Press power button and select Recovery and it will boot into TWRP recovery (Or power off the device and press & hold Volume Up + Power together). Again flash the Magisk.zip file and Reboot into system. This time it will be installed.
- Now your Xiaomi Mi 9 is rooted successfully with Magisk.
Now you can install custom ROMs and custom Kernels on your Mi 9. The rooting process is always easy with Magisk the only process that takes a lot of time is unlocking bootloader. Xiaomi has increased the waiting time from 72hrs to 360hrs to be eligible for unlocking bootloader. So, apply for the unlocking bootloader as soon as possible and wait for the confirmation. And once you get the confirmation then use the Mi Unlock Tool to unlock bootloader on your device.
So there you have it the detailed and easy guide to Root Xiaomi Mi 9 with Magisk and TWRP. You can now perform testing and modify your device as you want. I hope you found the guide helpful. If you want more rooting guides and Mi 9 guides then keep visiting YTECHB.