Xiaomi has added Mi 10 & Mi 10 Pro in its flagship device list. Both devices come with top notch specs and made a remarkable debut with record breaking sales. It packs with specs like Snapdragon 865, 108MP camera, 90Hz display so you can imagine the performance of the phone. If you own either Mi 10 or Mi 10 pro then this guide will help you to get advanced features on your device. Here you will get to know how to root Mi 10 Pro and how to unlock bootloader on Mi 10 Pro.
The phone is designed like a premium device and a curved AMOLED display provides an extra edge to the device look. Xiaomi released Mi 10 in various storage variant such as 8GB/128GB, 8GB/256GB, and 12GB/256GB. Similarly the Mi 10 Pro also comes in many storage variants. If you like to customize your device then rooting can be one of the options which help to enable advanced customization options.
Rooting has many advantages like support for Xposed modules, Custom boot animation, custom fonts, third party themes and much more. You can also remove bloatware from your phone. Xiaomi allows its users to easily unlock bootloader and root the phone. So let’s jump to rooting Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro phones.
How to Root Mi 10 Pro
This guide will work for both Xiaomi Mi 10 & Mi 10 Pro phones. There are many methods to root Mi 10 Pro and Mi 10 including Magisk, Custom Recovery and few more. As the time of writing this guide, the TWRP is not available so we are going to share the guide to root Mi 10 Pro using Magisk patched file. But to root your Mi 10 then you have to first Unlock Bootloader.
Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro Unlock Bootloader
All the Xiaomi and other brand phones come with locked bootloaders unless you are specifically buying the unlocked phones. It restricts us from customizing our devices such as rooting, installing custom recovery, custom ROM, etc. And great thing is that Xiaomi has an official tool to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi devices. And it makes unlocking bootloader easy. So if you want to root Mi 10 then follow the below procedure to unlock bootloader.
- Unlocking bootloader on Mi 10 will delete all the data of your phone so first, take a full backup of important data.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more then 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Now you have to enable developer options, so go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- To open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Mi 10 Pro into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Mi 10 Pro.
- When it detects your phone click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Mi 10 and Mi 10 Pro and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stop at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking bootloader on your Mi 10 Pro you can easily root your device. If you want to root your Mi 10 Pro then you can follow the below guide. But first, make sure to follow the requirements given below.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Mi 10 Pro
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download the firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed)
Must Check | Download Google Camera 7.2 for Mi Note 10
Root Mi 10 Pro with Magisk Patched Image
- First, copy the Magisk Manager apk on your phone and install it.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC. Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and in the next pop up screen click on Install.
- In the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file. It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the patched file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb. And rename the file to boot.img.
- After that turn off your Mi 10 Pro and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to C:\adb folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Mi 10 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When device boot into the system, open the Magisk Manager app and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all, now your Mi 10 Pro is successfully rooted.
This will allow you to use features that are restricted by default such as removing system apps that are of no use. You can add modules to enhance various app experience by unlocking additional features.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Mi 10 Pro along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Mi 10 Pro and Mi 10. If you have any questions on your mind let us know in the comment section.