The Galaxy S22 is the latest flagship series from Samsung. The series consists of three phones: Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22+, and Galaxy S22 Ultra. Unlike the previous S series phones, the S22 comes with Snapdragon processors in all regions except Europe. Even with Snapdragon models, you can unlock the bootloader (though restricted in some countries). Here you will learn how to root Samsung Galaxy S22 series and how to unlock the bootloader of Galaxy S22.
Samsung has dropped the Note series and starting with Galaxy S22 Ultra, the Ultra model will come with the Note experience. There are many improvements on the new Galaxy S22 series over its predecessor S21 series. Unfortunately, there are also some changes in the firmware that restrict users from extracting the firmware down to the root level. Luckily we don’t need to extract the firmware to that level as the file required for rooting the S22 can be found in one time extract.
This time Samsung has released the Snapdragon variant in India, which can also be rooted as there is no restriction on unlocking its bootloader. Whereas in the USA and Canada it is restricted. You can still unlock the bootloader of S22 in the USA and Canada from paid services. If you are a Galaxy S22, S22+, or a Galaxy S22 Ultra user and want to root it, then this guide is for you.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S22 (Ultra)
This guide will work for all three phones in the S22 series. If you have a question, why root S22? then it is to gain root level access to modify the device as the user wants. Rooting comes with many advantages along with a few disadvantages as well. You can overcome disadvantages with some modules and other fixes. Before rooting, you need to unlock the bootloader of Galaxy S22. So let’s first learn how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S22.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with a security feature called bootloader which is kept locked so that users other than the owner cannot modify the phone. So, if you have logged in with your Google id, then other users will not be able to overwrite without credentials. It also restricts rooting the phone. Luckily Samsung allows unlocking bootloader in many regions. So, let’s see how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S22 Ultra.
- Take a full backup of your Galaxy S22 phone as the unlocking process will format your device.
- After backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- In the Software Information, you will find the Build Number. Tap 7-8 times on it to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- It will show a Warning screen on your phone, and now you can release both buttons. Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy S22 will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and now the unlock bootloader on Samsung S22 will start and wipe all data.
- Reboot your phone (Do not sign in in setup or in settings to your Samsung or Google account).
After unlocking the bootloader, you can check it in developer options or through locked status in the bootloader mode. So once it is unlocked you can now jump into the rooting steps.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked on your phone
- Download the Galaxy S22 firmware (use Samsung Firmware Downloader or Frija)
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver
Steps to Root Galaxy S22 with Magisk
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy S22 Firmware on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). Copy the file to your phone storage.
- Install Magisk app on your Galaxy S22.
- Open the Magisk app on your phone and click on the first Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Browse and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take some time to patch the file.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar. Copy the patched tar file to your PC.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. On the right side of the tool, load the magisk patched file in the AP tab. And load BL, CP, CSC files from extracted firmware to respective tabs.
- Now Boot your Galaxy S22 into Download Mode.
- The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- After completing all the previous steps, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion and your device will reboot automatically. Now you have rooted your Galaxy S22 phone.
After rooting you can enjoy all the functions of root. There are many advanced apps that need root access and so you can also use those apps. Also, if you like to try modules then you can also use various Xposed Modules on your phone. Here you can also check how to install Xposed Framework on Android 12.
Note: To update your phone without losing root or data, download the firmware of new version and follow the same process mentioned in the root section (patching AP file). Now load all the files mentioned above and this time load Home_CSC file in CSC tab and flash it.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy S22 Series along with a guide to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S22. And if you have any queries then let us know in the comment section below.