The latest device in the Samsung S series is the recently announced Galaxy S10 Lite. Samsung has surprised everyone by launching the S10 Lite at an unexpected price. As per the phone price, it seems like Samsung is targeting the OnePlus. The phone packs the last year flagship Snapdragon 855 processor. Coming to the device performance than its same as other Samsung flagship devices. But if you need additional features then you need to root your device. Here you will know How to Root Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite and how to unlock bootloader on Galaxy S10 Lite.
The next S series phone is soon going to launch with three different models. Yes, you are thinking right it is going to be Samsung Galaxy S20. But S10 Lite will be preferred by many users because of its acceptable price. Samsung S10 Lite features a triple rear camera setup with a 48-megapixel main sensor. Rooting the phone will add features like adding custom fonts, third party themes, various Xposed modules and more. To root any phone we have to first unlock the bootloader of that phone. So we have also included the Galaxy S10 Lite unlock bootloader guide.
Samsung phones now run on OneUI and the S10 Lite comes with OneUI 2.0 which is based on Android 10. And due to the multi layer security, it is hard to root Samsung phones. But it’s not impossible. We can still use Magisk to root Samsung phones including the Galaxy S10 Lite. Thanks to the Magisk developer Topjohnwu for the effective method.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite
Samsung is one of the favorite brands in the field of custom development like custom ROMs, custom Recovery, custom Kernels and more. It means the device will get ROMs and Recoveries very soon. But before the custom development starts you can still root your phone. There are many advantages of rooting but also there are some disadvantages like it will trip Knox and require unlocking bootloader. Below you will find the guide to unlock bootloader.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite Unlock Bootloader
All the smartphones come with a locked bootloader for the security standards set up by each smartphone company. It prevents users from modifying the device in a way that can harm the device. It can be useful if the device is stolen then you can find the device easily. But if you like playing with advance features and various ROMs then you need to first unlock the bootloader of Samsung S10 Lite.
- Take a full backup of your phone’s data as unlocking bootloader will reset your phone.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone.
- Tap on Build Number 7-8 times and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- Now go to Settings > Additional Options > Developer Options.
- In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Up + Volume Down keys together and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
- When the Warning screen comes, release both keys. Then press Volume Up key once to boot Samsung S10 Lite to Download Mode.
- Once the device in Download Mode long press Volume Up key to unlock bootloader of Samsung S10 lite. It will now wipe data from the device and unlock the bootloader.
- Now the device will boot into the system. Then enable developer options by following 2 & 3 steps.
- Go to Developer Options and make sure OEM Unlocking is greyed out. If it is greyed out, then you have successfully unlocked bootloader on Galaxy S10 Lite and if not then you try again in a few days.
This is all you have to do to unlock bootloader on Galaxy S10 Lite. And this guide works for all Samsung smartphones. So once you have unlocked bootloader on your S10 Lite you can now root your phone by following the below guide. But before you move to steps make sure to go through requirements.
- Take a full backup of data before rooting
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the firmware (the same version on which your phone is running)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
Root Samsung S10 Lite with Magisk
When it comes to rooting on Samsung phone then you have to be very careful because Samsung phones are more prone to go in bootloop. It is due to the different security mechanisms used in Samsung phone especially after releasing the OneUI. There is more than one method to root Samsung phones. Methods are like using custom recovery and magisk patched file. But as of now, the custom recovery is not available for Samsung S10 Lite so we are going to use Magisk Patched file to root Galaxy S10 Lite.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware & Odin zip file on your computer.
- Go to the extracted firmware folder and copy the AP tar file to Phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone and open the app.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the Install > Install.
- In the next pop up screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now locate the AP file that you copied earlier and wait for the patching process.
- After patching the output file will be stored in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the patched magisk_patched.tar file to your computer, you can copy it to the firmware folder for convenience.
- Open the Odin.exe to run the Odin Flash Tool.
- In the tool switch to the options tab and untick ‘Auto Reboot’ option.
- Then click on the AP tab and locate the magisk_patched.tar file that you recently copied to your computer.
- Click on BL and locate BL tar file and similarly load the CP file and CSC file on their respective tabs. You can load the Home_CSC file in the CSC tab to keep the data of your phone.
- Now turn off your phone and boot your device in the Download Mode using steps given in the Unlock bootloader section.
- Connect your phone to PC when it is in Download Mode. Skip if already connected to the computer.
- The tool will detect the phone which will appear near ID: COM.
- Now click on the Start button to start flashing. It can take time depending on the phone and computer speed.
- When it is done it will show Pass message above the ID: COM section. Disconnect your phone and follow further steps.
- Now you need to carefully boot into the rooted system using the below button combination.
- Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- That’s all, now you have successfully rooted your Samsung S10 Lite.
After rooting your device you should be familiar with the steps to boot your phone into different partitions. I have added the buttons combos which will help you to boot your device into different systems without losing root access. So follow the below shortcut buttons:
- System without Root: Normal power-up
- Recovery Mode: Press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and when you see Warning screen release only the Power button and keep pressing Volume Up button until you see Recovery.
In case if you have bricked your phone while performing root, then you can follow this guide to fix the bricked Samsung phone.
You May Also Like | 10 Best Samsung Themes for your Galaxy Smartphone
So there you have it the complete guide on How to Root Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite with Magisk and how to unlock bootloader on Samsung S10 Lite. If you have any questions on your mind then share it in the comment section.