Recently Samsung released Galaxy A51 along with Galaxy A71. Both the latest A-series smartphones are identical in design, and also some specs are similar. We already shared a guide to root Galaxy A71, and here in this guide, we will focus on Galaxy A51. The device offers a great user experience, and you can enhance the performance by customizing your phone. And to customize at the system level, you need to root your device. Here you will know How to Root Samsung A51 and how to unlock bootloader on Galaxy A51.
Galaxy A51 is the successor of its predecessor, Galaxy A50, and it really stands out as a good successor. All the specifications compared to Galaxy A50 has been enhanced in the Galaxy A51. And if you want to get more add-ons and features on your phone, then you can root your phone with the effective methods given in this guide. Rooting will add features like changing system fonts, applying third party themes, custom boot animation, and more.
It’s not easy to root Samsung devices compared to other brand devices. It is because of OneUI, which introduced last year, and due to its dual-layer security, it is not easy at all to write on the systems. But it is not impossible, as many developers found that only a few steps to be added to the regular rooting methods. And to root Samsung A51 you have to first unlock the bootloader on Samsung Galaxy A51.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy A51
As you are now aware of the challenges that you have to face while rooting Samsung devices. Make sure to follow the guide carefully so that you don’t end up bricking your device. There are two effective methods to root Galaxy A51 but as of now, only one is possible because no custom Recovery is available for Galaxy A51. We are going to use the Magisk patch image to root Samsung A51. But first go through the Galaxy A51 unlock bootloader guide, if you haven’t unlocked the bootloader yet.
Samsung Galaxy A51 Unlock Bootloader
Unlocking Bootloader is a necessary step otherwise, you won’t be able to root your phone. By default, all the phones come with locked bootloader unless you are buying phones with unlocked status. It restricts users from changing or writing anything on the system level in the device. So if you are planning to root your phone or install custom ROMs then follow the below steps.
- First, make sure to Take a full backup of your data because unlocking bootloader will erase all the data from your phone.
- After successful backup open Settings on your phone.
- Go to About Phone and then tap Build Number continuously until it displays ‘You are now a developer’.
- Now go back to the main Settings and go to Additional Settings > Developer Options. In case if you don’t find the Developer Options, then search for developer options in the search bar.
- In Developer Options, enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Power off your phone completely. Then press Volume Up + Volume Down together, and while holding both buttons, connect your phone to PC with a USB cable.
- When the Warning screen appears, release both buttons and press Volume Up once to enter Download Mode.
- Once the device boot to Download Mode, long press Volume Up button to unlock the bootloader. It will wipe all the data from your phone and unlock the bootloader on Samsung A51.
- Now reboot your device to the system and again enable Developer Options with the same steps given above.
- In Developer Options, make sure OEM Unlocking is greyed out. If it is, then you have successfully unlocked bootloader on Galaxy A51, and if not, then you try again after a few days.
Now that the bootloader is unlocked on Samsung A51, you can proceed with installing custom recovery and rooting the phone. But before you jump into the steps, go through the requirements.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Samsung A51
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Update your Galaxy A51 to latest version and download the firmware (the same version recommended)
Root Samsung A51 with Magisk Patched File
- Copy the downloaded Magisk Manager APK on your phone and install the app.
- Now extract the Firmware on your PC and from the extracted folder copy the AP.tar (AP_A707XXXU1ASIX_EXAMPLE_0000000_user_low_ship_MU LTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar) to phone storage.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app and click on first Install > Install.
- In the next screen, you get to Select Method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- Then locate the AP.tar file and wait for the patching process.
- The output patched file magisk_patched.tar will be saved in the Download folder.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to your computer and make sure to remember the location.
- Now power off your device and boot into Download Mode with the same steps given in the unlock bootloader guide.
- When Galaxy A51 boots into Download Mode connect it to your computer with a USB cable.
- After connecting the phone, open the Odin tool (Odin.exe) that you downloaded in the beginning.
- In the Odin tool, switch to the Options tab and untick Auto-Reboot.
- Click on the AP button and select the magisk_patched.tar file. Then click on the BL button and select the BL file (it will be in the extracted firmware folder). Similarly, select the CP and CSC file in Odin.
- Once you added all the files in the particular sections, click on the Start button. Then wait for the success message, you can also track the progress on the top left.
- After flashing the files, you need to carefully boot into the rooted system using the below button combination.
- Press & hold the Volume Up + Power button and release all the buttons when you see the warning screen.
- That’s all, now you have successfully booted Samsung A51 into the rooted system.
You need to use the same given button combination every time when you power off your device. Also, avoid using the restart option on your phone. For booting into Recovery and system without root follow the below button combinations.
- System without Root: Normal power-up
- Recovery Mode: Press & hold Volume Up + Power button together and when you see Warning screen release the only Power button and keep pressing Volume Up button until you see Recovery.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Samsung Galaxy A51 along with its unlocking bootloader guide. We will add the second method once the TWRP Recovery goes live. If you come across any error while performing the steps, then let us know in the comment section below.