Samsung Galaxy A and M series phones are popular smartphone series which are specifically introduced to target budget phones. And Galaxy A31 is one of the latest phones released recently with great specs. The device comes with amazing performance compared with other budget phones. It has plenty of customization options but if you want more advanced options then root privilege is a must on the phone. And here you will know how to root Samsung Galaxy A31 along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Galaxy A31.
The Samsung A31 comes with Android 10 based OneUI 2.0 OS out of the box. And right now it is one of the best custom UI that any smartphone brand is offering. The device features a beautiful Super AMOLED 6.4-inch display of resolution 1080 x 2400 pixels. It packs with a MediaTek Helio P65 MT6768 processor along with the Mali-G52 MC2 GPU. Galaxy A31 is available in 4GB & 6GB RAM variants and 64GB & 128GB storage.
As you know the OneUI offers multiple options for customization like themes, one hand mode, and more. And luckily we have a method to root Galaxy A31 that will allow you to choose advanced features. Rooting allows us to add support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and a lot more. It also lets us add Xposed Modules which are popular for its customization features and more. Here in this guide, we will also share the guide to unlock bootloader of Samsung A31 along with its root guide.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy A31
Samsung is the brand that most users can blindly trust and there’s no reason to not trust the company. And most of all we can root Samsung phones. Although it is not easy, we can root Samsung phones with the help of Magisk. It was not the case earlier when Samsung phones used to pack with Experience UI. And later Samsung introduced the OneUI with enhanced security which makes it hard to root Samsung phones. But developers always have a solution to every obstacle. And so if you have Galaxy A31 then you can root your phone. But first, we will share the guide to unlock bootloader on Galaxy A31.
Samsung Galaxy A31 Unlock Bootloader
All the phones come with the locked bootloader that restricts users from rooting their phones. Some brands allow users to unlock bootloader but some brands follow a complex process like Realme. But luckily Samsung has a simple process but yet steps must be followed carefully. Unlocking Bootloader also lets users flash Custom ROMs, Custom Recovery, and more custom development projects. Let’s now check how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy A31.
- First, make sure to take a backup of your phone as the unlocking bootloader of Samsung A31 will erase all the data of your phone.
- Once you have the backup, open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- In the Software Information, you will find Build Number. Tap about 7-8 times on it to enable developer options. It will show ‘You are now a developer’.
- Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- After enabling the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device. Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- It will show the Warning screen on your phone, and now you can release both buttons. Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy A31 will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and now the unlock bootloader on Samsung A31 will start and wipe all data.
- Reboot your phone and make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options. If not, then wait for a few days and repeat the steps.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader of your Samsung A31, you are all set to root your Galaxy A31. But in case if you have a doubt that can you roll back to the normal phone or unroot the phone. Then yes you can unroot your Galaxy A31 whenever you want. But if you want to lock the bootloader then you have to format your phone. Now let’s jump into the root guide, but before that make sure to go through the requirements given below.
- Take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download Odin Flash Tool
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked of your phone
- Download the Galaxy A31 firmware (the same version on which your phone is running)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy A31
- You can download the firmware using tools like SamFirm and Frija.
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy A31 Firmware on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP). It will be in the tar format. Also, extract the Odin tool zip file on your PC.
- Copy the AP file from the extracted folder to your phone storage.
- Install Magisk Manager (canary build recommended) on your Galaxy A31. Skip this step if the app is already installed on your device.
- Open the Magisk Manager app on your phone after installing it, and click on Install > Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Browse and select the AP tar file and wait for the patching process. It can take a few seconds to patch the file.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
- Copy the magisk_patched.tar file to your PC and extract it.
- Now copy Meta-data folder, boot.img, recovery.img, and vbmeta.img file to a different location and compress these files in one TAR file. Remember extracting it must directly give these four files, not inside any folder.
- Open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC. And Make sure to untick the Auto-Reboot option in the Options tab in the Odin tool. Check the below screenshot for reference.
- On the right side of the tool, click on the AP and load the magisk_patched.tar file (The one that you compressed manually).
- Then Boot your Galaxy A31 into Download Mode. You can follow steps 6 & 7 from the unlock bootloader section to boot into download mode.
- Once your Galaxy A31 boots into Download Mode, connect it to your computer. The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- After completing all the previous steps, click on the Start button. It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion and then you can disconnect your phone.
- Now boot your phone into stock recovery (do not boot the phone into the system).
- From recovery wipe data by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset option.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and again install Magisk Manager. Open Magisk Manager and it will show installed status which means the Samsung Galaxy A31 is rooted.
Rooting a phone in 2020 is still worth a mile as it comes with a lot of extra features that our devices are capable, but missing because of restrictions. Samsung also has Ads in its UI and now after root you can use Adblockers to remove ads from your phone. Also, you can remove pre-installed apps that you don’t use on your phone but eating space on your phone. Rooting has many hidden features that a regular user may not discover on normal usage, but if you look on the web you will find many root tips and tricks.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Samsung A31 along with the unlock bootloader guide. And in case if you have any questions on your mind, then let us know in the comments section below.