Xiaomi has released its latest Smartphone in the Redmi Note series and it is called Redmi Note 9 Pro. As we know the Note series is a mid-range phone and it is popular in many regions. This time Xiaomi took to another level by adding four cameras on the phone. Every year Xiaomi follows the trend and delivers what users need, and the same they applied on Redmi Note 9 series. As expected the phone performs exceptionally well. But for modification and advance features you need to root your phone. Here you will know How to Root Redmi Note 9 Pro and how to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
Redmi series phones come with MIUI which is customizable and adds a great improvement on user experience. Now if we look into the device details then it comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G which is integrated with Adreno 618 GPU. The device is coupled with 4GB/6GB RAM along with 64GB and 128GB respectively. Now coming to the camera section the Redmi Note 9 Pro has a quad rear camera setup which includes 48MP+8MP+5MP+2MP. And in the front, it has a 16MP selfie camera.
Xiaomi phones give the liberty to unlock bootloader which is the first step if we are want to customize your device like root. And luckily we can unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro. Rooting adds tons of customizable options and features like installing third-party themes, custom fonts, custom boot animation and a lot more. It also lets us add Xposed Modules on Android phones. Rooting gives advantages over a non-rooted device but with few sacrifices. And if you want to root your phone then this guide is for you.
How to Root Redmi Note 9 Pro
Xiaomi phones are popular among Custom developers and that means it will receive lots of custom development work. Redmi Note 9 Pro is easy to root like other Xiaomi smartphones. There is more than one method to root Redmi Note 9 Pro but we are going to share the effective method using Magisk. As of now the TWRP Recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro is not available so we are going to use a patched boot image for rooting the device. But to root the phone first we have to unlock bootloader which will allow us to root.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro Unlock Bootloader
Like other brands, phones from Xiaomi also come with locked bootloader by default. And with locked bootloader, we can’t modify our phones as it restricts system level modification. So before rooting, we have to first unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro. Xiaomi has its official method to unlock bootloader using the unlock tool which makes it easy. So let’s get into the guide to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- First, take a full backup of your phone as Unlocking bootloader on Redmi Note 9 Pro will delete all the data of your phone.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account then wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more then 7 days, then skip this step.
- Head over to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Then go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version to enable developer options. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- To open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then go to Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- After that turn off your phone. Long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Redmi Note 9 Pro into Fastboot mode. Release both buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- When it detects your phone click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stop at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking bootloader of Redmi Note 9 Pro you are all set to root your device. But you need some files that you will find in the requirement list given below. After following it follow the steps to root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download firmware for your phone (The same version that is installed on your phone
Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro with Magisk
- Extract the downloaded firmware on your computer and you will find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager to your Redmi Note 9 Pro internal storage.
- Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone and proceed with further steps.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and then click on the Install > Install.
- And in the next pop up screen choose “Select and Patch a File”. It will take you to the storage and there select the boot.img.
- After selecting the image file, wait for the patching process to finish.
- And when it is done the output file will be saved in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img to your computer C:\adb and rename it to boot.img.
- Then turn off your phone. And boot your Redmi Note 9 into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume Down + Power button together).
- When the device is in Fastboot Mode connect your phone to the compute using a USB cable.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- In the command window enter the below command and it should return some ID which means the device is connected.
- Now enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root Redmi Note 9 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing is done reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root privilege on your phone.
That’s it the root access has been granted on the phone and you can test out some amazing features on your phone. You can also block ads from the whole system, that comes in all MIUI as well as browsers. It also allows us to remove system apps that we don’t use.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Redmi Note 9 Pro along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. If you have any questions on your mind then let us know in the comment section.