Redmi 9 is an affordable smartphone from Xiaomi and a part of the popular Redmi number series. It comes with mid range hardware for reasonable performance. Xiaomi Redmi 9 comes with an elegant design that looks attractive and modern. Like other Xiaomi phones, we can also root Redmi 9 without any problem. So if you want to root your phone here you will know How to Root Redmi 9 and how to unlock bootloader on Redmi 9.
Xiaomi released the device recently after a month releasing Redmi 10X series. They have so many devices that naming confusion is obvious and also it can be in the market with different names in your location. The device runs on Android 10 OS by default. It features a big 6.53-inch FHD+ IPS LCD Panel which is pretty great for a device at such low cost. Full HD displays are common but in mid range and flagship devices.
Redmi 9 comes with MediaTek Helio G80 octa-core processor and integrated with the Mali-G52 GPU. The device is available in different RAM options starting with 3GB. It comes with a quad rear camera setup which consists of 13MP+8MP+5MP+2MP sensors. And at the front, it has an 8MP front selfie shooter placed in the v-notch. The device also comes with a bigger 5020mAh battery. Below you will know a method to root Xiaomi Redmi 9 and an official method to unlock the bootloader.
How to Root Redmi 9
Xiaomi phones are popular and one of its main reasons is the big custom development and no other brand can its popularity among developers. Redmi phones receive a lot of modules, ROMs, Kernels, Custom Recovery, and much more. Rooting is an advanced option to customize Android phones and allows us to install custom fonts, third party themes, custom boot animation, and more.
Rooting brings a lot of customization including the support for Xposed Modules as well as Magisk Modules. We can root the Redmi 9 with two different methods using a custom Recovery or flashing patched boot images. But rooting or any other type of modification required an unlocked bootloader so first check how to unlock bootloader of Redmi 9. In this guide, we will use the patched boot image to root Redmi 9.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Unlock Bootloader
Xiaomi is among the few brands which allow its users to unlock the bootloader without any restriction. Earlier we had to wait for a few days to unlock bootloader but now we don’t have to wait for it. Follow the below guide to unlock the bootloader of your Redmi 9.
- Take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Redmi 9 will delete all data from the phone.
- Now download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from their official website. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings on your Redmi 9 and log in to Mi Account then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then in Settings, go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings again and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn on the internet connection on Redmi 9 with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then power off your device then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Redmi 9 into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Redmi 9.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Redmi 9, and this will erase all the data.
After unlocking the bootloader the device gates will be open for flashing and advance modifications. It means you can now root your phones or even install a custom ROM if you are bored with MIUI. So let’s check the Redmi 9 Root guide. But before that go through the below given requirements.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Redmi 9 firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Redmi 9 with Magisk
As for now, no custom recovery is available for Xiaomi Redmi 9 and so we are going to use a patched boot image to root Redmi 9. It is a common method that can also be used for rooting other Android phones.
- First, extract the Redmi 9 firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Redmi 9.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the app on your phone.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the Install > Install.
- In the next screen you will find two options, so choose “Select and Patch a File.” And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the boot image file, so wait for the patching to finish.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the output magisk_patched.img file to your computer (C:\adb location) and rename the file to boot.img.
- Now turn off your phone. And boot Redmi 9 into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume Down + Power button together).
- When your Redmi 9 is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- Now to check if the device is connected, enter the below command in CMD. It should return some ID, which means the device is connected. If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Redmi 9.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
After reboot check for the Magisk Manager app on your device. It will show Magisk & Magisk Manager installed, it means the device is successfully rooted.
That’s all, now your Redmi 9 has full root access. And you can enjoy all the advanced features after rooting. Some of the features include system-wide Ad-blocker support, which is a big advantage for MIUI as it comes with a lot of ads. We can also remove pre-installed apps to maximize performance.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Redmi 9 along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Xiaomi Redmi 9. If you have any questions on your mind, then let us know in the comment section.