Redmi 8A is one of the best budget phones among all the available smartphones. It has all the remarkable features at a very low price and that’s why it is so popular among users. And for all the Redmi 8A users who like to customize their phone, I have good news that you can now easily root your Redmi 8A. Unofficial build of TWRP recovery is also available which means custom ROMs will start appearing in no time. Here you get to know How to Root Redmi 8A and Download TWRP for Redmi 8A with installation guide.
Mi phones especially the Redmi series is very active in custom development which gives users to experience all the features that their device doesn’t have. Yes, you can customize your phone as you want after rooting your device or installing custom ROMs. When it comes to attractive design like custom fonts, custom boot animation along with ultimate performance, everyone wants all these features on their phones. And Redmi 8A has capabilities to do wonders like taking quality pictures, enhance the gaming experience and much more. All you have to do is root Redmi 8A with the given methods.
Rooting provides an amazing experience that every user needs on their phones. Redmi phones are very easy to root and modify. And if you want to root your phone then below we have a working Redmi 8A root guide.
How to Root Redmi 8A
You can root Redmi 8A with two different methods and both are easy. Here in this root guide, we will cover both methods. First one by using TWRP Recovery and the other one by using a patched boot image. In case if you don’t want to install a custom recovery then go with the patched boot image method. For the first method, you need TWRP recovery so first download TWRP Recovery for Redmi 8A and install by following the below guide.
Note : For rooting or installing twrp recovery, first you need to unlock bootloader.
Download TWRP Recovery for Redmi 8A
An unofficial TWRP recovery is now available for Redmi 8A and it works on MIUI 10 and MIUI 11. As reported by users the TWRP Recovery is working fine for Global and Indian Redmi 8A.
- TWRP Recovery for Redmi 8A – Download
After downloading the TWRP image file go through the installation guide. But first, follow the requirements.
- Download TWRP image file
- Download Vbmeta file
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers
- Make sure that bootloader is unlocked of Redmi 8A (Follow this guide)
Must Read | 15 Best MIUI Themes That Look Amazing
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 8A
- Transfer the TWRP Recovery image and vbmeta file to your computer (C:\adb).
- Rename the TWRP recovery image to twrp.img.
- Then power off your device.
- Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot into Fastboot Mode. Release the buttons when you see the Fastboot screen.
- Once the phone boot in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the computer.
- Now in C:\adb folder press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- In the command window enter the below command to flash vbmeta image
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now enter the below command to flash TWRP Recovery on Redmi 8A
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Now TWRP Recovery is installed on your Redmi 8A.
You May Also Like | How to Apply Third Party Themes on MIUI 9 & MIUI 10
Root Redmi 8A with TWRP Recovery
Once you have installed the TWRP on your Redmi 8A, you can root your device easily. Follow the below guide to root Redmi 8A by flashing Magisk by TWRP Recovery.
- Download Magisk zip and Magisk Manager APK and transfer it to your phone.
- Take a full backup before you proceed further to avoid data loss in case of any issue.
- Now power off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button together to boot into TWRP Recovery. Release buttons when you see the TWRP icon.
- In TWRP Recovery click on Install and locate the Magisk zip file.
- Now flash the Magisk file to root Redmi 8A.
- After flashing reboot your phone to the system and enjoy your rooted Redmi 8A.
So this is the first method, but in case if you don’t want to install TWRP Recovery or the method is not working then follow the below method to root Redmi 8A.
Root Redmi 8A with Magisk Patched Boot Image
Another method to root Redmi 8A is by flashing the patched boot image. It doesn’t require any custom recovery, hence it is easier than the last method.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer. And take a full backup before you begin the process.
- First, download Redmi 8A firmware (the same version on which your phone is running). Then extract the firmware and find boot.img.
- Now patch the boot.img through Magisk and the patched boot image will be saved to download folder with name Magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img to your computer (C:\adb). And rename it to boot.img.
- Once done boot your device into Fastboot Mode, for this press and hold Volume Down + Power button together until you see Fastboot mode screen.
- Connect your phone to the computer.
- In C:\adb folder press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- In Command/PowerShell window enter the below command to flash boot image and root Redmi 8A
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the boot image reboot your device into the system and install Magisk Manager if not installed.
- Open Magisk Manager and perform the in-app steps and that’s all.
Now your Redmi 8A is rooted and you can use all the root features such as flashing files directly from the Apps. Add Xposed Modules, apply custom fonts, custom boot animation and much more.
So there you have it the complete guide on How to Root Redmi 8A. If you want more guides related to Redmi 8A then follow YTECHB. If you have any queries do let us know in the comment section.
6 thoughts on “How to Root Redmi 8A and Install TWRP Recovery”
Is it possible to do the second “easier” method without unlocking the bootloader?
Just wondering because I’ve already requested unlock permissions from MIUI and currently waiting 2 weeks but wondering if it’s possible to temporarily root using the second method without an unlocked bootloader or TWRP for now
You can not install TWRP or root until you unlock the bootloader.
Wait till the bootloader is unlocked and then proceed.
Thanks for your response. I finally unlocked my bootloader but now I’m having issues with the the touchscreen in TWRP, it doesn’t respond to touch so I get stuck at the initial “Swipe to unlock/wipe” screen. I also tried patching the boot.img through magisk manager but It’s not rooting or installing Magisk. Hopefully I find a solution soon.
Try reinstalling the TWRP recovery. Also make sure you are using the boot image from the same firmware version which is installed on your phone.
I successfully flashed the magisk.zip and rebooted but the magisk manager still shows magisk not installed.how can I resolve this?
Try to patch the boot image using Magisk Manager Canary build and try again.