Xiaomi, one of the largest smartphone producers globally has recently released a new Poco phone called Poco X3. There is also an NFC variant of Poco X3 along with the standard Poco X3. And as you know Xiaomi phones are best for custom developments, you can start modifying your device right away. Here you will know how to Root Poco X3 and how to unlock bootloader of Poco X3.
Xiaomi introduced the first Poco phone about a couple of years ago and it got popular within no time. The Poco series is first expected to only get flagship devices but Xiaomi has something different in mind and introduced some budget Poco phones with Snapdragon 700 series processors. The Poco X3 is a camera-centric phone with a Quad rear camera setup that includes a 64MP main sensor, 13MP ultrawide camera, 2MPmacro sensor, and a 2MP depth sensor. And it has a 20MP selfie camera in front.
Xiaomi phones are the best options if you are interested in rooting or trying custom ROMs. Because Xiaomi phones are popular and the company allows us to unlock bootloader and modify the kernel source. In this guide, we are going to share a method to root Poco X3 along with a guide to unlock bootloader of Poco X3.
How to Root Xiaomi Poco X3
In 2020, rooting an Android phone is not that easy as we were able to do a few years back with apps like Kingroot. But it doesn’t mean we can not root our device. It is still possible with the Magisk which is a good tool for seamless root. All thanks to John Wu, the developer of Magisk.
Rooting brings many advanced features like support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. But first, we need to unlock bootloader of Poco X3 before rooting the device. Follow the below guide to unlock the bootloader.
Xiaomi Poco X3 Unlock Bootloader
Xiaomi is among a few brands that allow its users to unlock bootloader of their devices. Each brand has its own process of unlocking bootloader. Xiaomi has a simple but long process and we don’t have to wait for any application or form to unlock bootloader. And as you know all phones come with a locked bootloader by default and so we need to unlock the bootloader. You can follow the below guide to Unlock Bootloader on Poco X3.
- Take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Poco X3 will delete all data from the phone.
- Now download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from their official website. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings on your Poco X3and log in to Mi Account then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then in Settings, go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings again and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn the internet connection on Poco X3 with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then power off your device then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Poco X3 into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco X3.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Poco X3, and this will erase all the data.
Once you have unlocked the bootloader of Poco X3, your device is ready for the modifications like rooting. We can root the Xiaomi Poco X3 with Magisk. Follow the below guide after collecting the requirements list.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Poco X3 firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Poco X3
- First, extract the Poco X3 firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Poco X3.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the app on your phone.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the Install > Install.
- In the next screen you will find two options, so choose “Select and Patch a File.” And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the boot image file, so wait for the patching to finish.
- After patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the output magisk_patched.img file to your computer (C:\adb location) and rename the file to boot.img.
- Now turn off your phone. And boot Poco X3 into Fastboot mode (press & hold Volume Down + Power button together).
- When your Poco X3 is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to the computer.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- Now to check if the device is connected, enter the below command in CMD. It should return some ID, which means the device is connected. If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- fastboot devices
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Poco X3.
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
After rooting your Poco X3, you can use all the features that work with root access only. It allows for installing various Xposed Modules for advanced modifications.
As you know Xiaomi phones come with Ad system that is one of the annoying parts of Xiaomi phones. And you can block all these ads if you have root access on your device. Also, you can remove all the useless apps that come in the phone by default.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Poco X3 and how to unlock bootloader of Poco X3. In case of any issues feel free to ask in the comment section.