Poco is now a separate sub-brand like Redmi from Xiaomi. And now Poco has recently launched the second phone in the series and it is named Poco X2. It packs with the same features that are available in Redmi K30 including the design. We can say Poco X2 is the exact replica of Redmi K30. This is not a flagship device but soon we can expect Poco X2 Pro to make debut in the market. Poco X2 features a jaw-dropping 120Hz display which gives an immersive & fluid experience. Here you get to know How to Root Poco X2 along with a guide on how to unlock bootloader on Poco X2.
It is an attractive phone and a direct competitor of popular Realme X2 but with better specs. So it means it is the best smartphone at its price segment. The phone comes with quad rear camera setup and dual front camera in a punch-hole design. Poco kept the price low so that it can be a good buy value. The main and attractive feature of the phone is its amazing display with 120Hz refresh rate. It means gaming on this phone will be like a flagship device or even better.
Xiaomi is one of the brands which allows users to easily root their phones. And if you want to root your Poco X2 phone then this is the guide for you. Rooting has many advantages that grant advanced settings to users. With root access, you can customize your phone like applying custom fonts, third party themes, custom boot animation. Other than customization you can also install apps like Ad Blocker to block ads on the phone. Along with rooting the phone here, you will also know how to unlock the bootloader on Poco X2.
How to Root Poco X2
Root method for Xiaomi phones are not complicated like Samsung phone and so you can easily root your Poco X2. There is only one thing that takes time on Xiaomi phones which is an unlocking bootloader. We will discuss it very soon in the unlock bootloader section. We can root Poco X2 with different methods like Magisk patched boot image, TWRP recovery, and other methods. But as of now, the TWRP Recovery is not available for Poco X2 so we are going to share the Magisk Patched boot image guide to root the phone. But if you want to root your phone then first you need to unlock bootloader.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Poco X2
The bootloader is a part of all Android phone and it is locked by default in every smartphone. But there are some stores where you can find unlocked phones. To unlock bootloader on the Xiaomi phone you need to use an official unlock tool from Xiaomi. Xiaomi allows unlocking bootloader but users need to wait for a few days after sign in to the device. Follow the below steps to unlock bootloader of Poco X2.
- First, take a full backup of important data your phone as unlocking bootloader will delete all data.
- Download Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. And install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Go to Settings and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more then 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then Go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- To open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Make sure to connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now you need to boot your Poco X2 into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Connect your PC to an active Internet network connection. Now open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco X2.
- Once it detects your phone click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of POCO X2 and erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stop at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking bootloader on your Poco X2 you can easily root your device. If you want to root your Poco X2 then you can follow the below guide. But first, make sure to follow the requirements given below.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Poco X2
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download the firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed)
Must Check | Download Google Camera 7.2 for Redmi K30
Root Poco X2 with Magisk Patched Image
- Copy the Magisk Manager app on your phone and install it.
- Extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC. From the extracted folder copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- In the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now locate and select the boot.img file and it will start patching. Wait for the patching to finish.
- The patched file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb. And rename the file to boot.img.
- Now turn off your Poco X2 and boot it in Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). When the phone is in Fastboot Mode connect it with the computer.
- In the C:\adb folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here’.
- Now enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash patched boot image to root Poco X2.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the boot file you can reboot your phone into the system using below command.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all you can now enjoy root access on your Poco X2.
Once you have root access on your phone you can use any app that needs root access. You can also uninstall system apps that you don’t use or we can say completely useless like default browser. And as we all know that Xiaomi phones show a lot of ads and after rooting you can use Adblocker to block annoying ads.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Poco X2 and how to unlock bootloader on Poco X2. If you have any question on your mind you can share in the comment section.