OnePlus 10 Pro is the latest flagship phone from OnePlus. The new OnePlus flagship comes with a bunch of the latest hardware. OnePlus is switching to ColorOS and so many users may try changing several elements to make it look like OxygenOS. Most of these changes can be done after root. If you own a OnePlus 10 Pro and want to root it, then this guide is for you. Here you will learn how to root OnePlus 10 Pro and unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10 Pro.
This time OnePlus only released the Pro variant and not the vanilla variant, maybe it will be released later. OnePlus 10 Pro is released early compared to the Q2 release window for the previous OnePlus flagship. The device comes with a new design which doesn’t get much appreciation as it doesn’t look as good as OnePlus 9 or OnePlus 8.
Before moving to the rooting steps, here is a quick overview of its specifications. The OnePlus 10 Pro features a big 6.7-inch LTPO2 AMOLED display. It is a QHD+ resolution display that supports a 120Hz refresh rate. OnePlus 10 Pro comes with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC and the Adreno 730 GPU. It is coupled with 8/12GB RAM and 128/256GB storage. If you don’t like the UI on the OnePlus 10 Pro, then you can make changes to its elements after rooting OnePlus 10 Pro. Here we will also share how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10 Pro.
How to Root OnePlus 10 Pro
OnePlus has made it clear that even with ColorOS, bootloader can be unlocked on OnePlus phones. So at least one big news for OnePlus users. We have options to flash custom ROM and switch to any UI, but it requires unlocked bootloader. The same can be said about rooting the OnePlus 10 Pro. Yes, to root the OnePlus 10 Pro, you need to first unlock the bootloader of the OnePlus 10 Pro.
Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 10 Pro
All Android phones come with locked bootloader by default. It restricts users from modifying the device. Modifications such as rootings, making changes to root directory, etc. It is a security feature that restricts thieves from making changes in case of theft. But if you think this feature is not useful or want to root your phone. Then you can easily unlock the bootloader of OnePlus 10 Pro. Unlocking bootloader of OnePlus phones is easy.
- First take a backup of important data as unlocking bootloader will erase data from the OnePlus 10 Pro.
- You can either Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer or make use of Android SDK Tool (platform tools folder). It will let you enter adb and fastboot commands.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus 10 Pro and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- Look for the Build Number and tap 7-8 times on it. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to the main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In Developer Options, you need to enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option which will let you boot your phone in different modes.
- Press and hold the Power button and it will show some options, click on three dots and select bootloader. You can also use shortcut keys to boot it into the bootloader.
- Once the OnePlus 10 Pro boots into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode. Connect your phone to your computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. If you have downloaded platform tools, open cmd from its location. Enter the below command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will return some device id.
- Enter the given command to start unlocking bootloader on OnePlus 10 Pro.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will display some options on your phone. Use the Volume keys to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- Remember it will remove all data during the process. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the bootloader unlock.
- Set up your device and enjoy the OnePlus 10 Pro with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can verify it by going to Settings > Developer Options. You can also check for the unlocked status in Bootloader menu. Once the bootloader is unlocked you can proceed with root process. You can find the requirements below.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Download firmware of OnePlus 10 Pro (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Root OnePlus 10 Pro with Magisk
- Extract OnePlus 10 Pro firmware and copy the boot.img to your phone.
- Install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- Next choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from available options.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Now copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb (Copy it in the platform tools folder if you are using cmd from there). Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Next reboot your OnePlus 10 Pro to Fastboot or bootloader mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or enter CMD in the file address/location.
- To check if the device is connected or not, enter the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash patched Magisk and root OnePlus 10 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your phone.
- Install Magisk app if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Once you have completed all the rooting steps, you can check for root access in any third party root checker app. With root access, you can use the best Xposed Modules to get advanced features on your OnePlus 10 Pro. We have also shared a guide to install Xposed Framework.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus 10 Pro phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 10 Pro. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.