Nubia has added two more gaming devices to its inventory. Yes, I am talking about Nubia Red Magic 7 series that was released earlier this year. The Red Magic series is a hit in many areas. If you are the owner of Nubia Red Magic 7 or Red Magic 7 Pro then this is a useful guide for you. Here you will learn how to root Nubia Red Magic 7 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of Nubia Red Magic 7 Pro.
This guide will work for both phones. So it doesn’t matter which of the two models you have. Before we move on to the rooting and bootloader guide, let’s take a quick look at its details. Nubia Red Magic 7 Series comes with a 6.8-inch FHD+ AMOLED display. But there is a difference in the refresh rate, the Red Magic 7 supports 165Hz while the Pro variant supports 120Hz. Both phones run on Android 12 OS.
Redmi Magic 7 and 7 Pro come with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor. The series is paired with 12/16/18GB RAM and 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 storage. Since these are gaming phones, both are equipped with great specs. The camera may not be as good as on the Nubia phone but it doesn’t affect the gaming performance. But you can always do some modifications like installing google camera mod or rooting the phone.
On the power department, both phones have enough battery power to juice them for a few hours of gaming. As we mentioned earlier with modifications like rooting, we can also increase the battery performance. Along with root, here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Red Magic 7 & Red Magic 7 Pro.
How to Root Nubia Red Magic 7 Pro
The Red Magic 7 series is undoubtedly great, but there is always room for change. Here we will talk about root modifications that are widely used to enhance features and improve performance, including gaming. With it, you can also make basic modifications like installing custom fonts, themes, boot animation, and more. To root the Red Magic 7 you need to first unlock the bootloader of Nubia Red Magic 7.
Red Magic 7 Pro Unlock Bootloader
Like other Android phones, Nubia Red Magic 7 series also comes with locked bootloader for security purposes. And till its bootloader is locked we can’t do any modifications like installing custom ROMs, rooting, or more. Luckily Nubia allows its users to unlock bootloader of their phones. So, let’s see how to unlock the bootloader of Nubia Red Magic 7 Pro.
- Take a full backup of Red Magic 7 as the unlock process will remove all data from the phone.
- Now on your phone, open Settings. Search for About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times to enable developer options.
- Go back to Settings and then search for Developer options and open it.
- In developer options, enable OEM Unlock & USB Debugging. For the next step you need adb & fastboot drivers, so install it on your PC.
- Connect your phone to PC and open CMD on your PC. Enter the below command to check if the phone is connected.
- If the above command triggers a pop up on your phone, allow debugging. And then enter the next command in CMD.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now your phone will boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader Mode. You can also use shortcut buttons to boot into fastboot mode.
- Enter the below command in CMD to initiate unlock bootloader on Red Magic 7.
fastboot flashing unlock
- The above command will show options on your phone. Navigate to ‘Unlock bootloader’ using the Volume buttons and use the Power button to select it.
- It will erase all the data and unlock the bootloader on your Red Magic 7 & 7 Pro.
- After unlocking bootloader enter the below command to reboot to system
- Now you have unlocked bootloader of your Red Magic 7 (Pro).
After unlocking the bootloader of Red Magic 7, you can cross-check the developer options. Also, you can check it in fastboot mode. Now let’s jump to the requirements for rooting.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Red Magic 7 or 7 Pro firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Nubia Red Magic 7
- Extract the boot.img and vendor.img files from Red Magic 7/7 Pro firmware that you downloaded earlier. Make sure the firmware version is the same as the one installed on your phone. You might need payload dumper to extract its firmware.
- Copy the boot.img to your phone. Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on Install. Next, choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- Head over to the Download folder for the output file with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Rename the patched file to boot.img. Also copy vbmeta.img in the same folder.
- Now reboot your Red Magic 7 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer (follow the steps from bootloader method).
- In the C:\adb folder open CMD/command window. To do this, first open the adb folder and type the CMD in the address bar of file explorer, and hit enter. You can also use platform tools in place of adb & fastboot driver (but make sure to save boot.img in this folder and open cmd from this folder).
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the command below that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Red Magic 7.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, enter next command to disable verity.
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
- Now reboot your phone into recovery mode using this command
fastboot reboot recovery
- Perform a factory reset from Recovery. That’s it, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy root access.
You can check for root access using any third party root checker app or Magisk itself. It will now let you use all the apps and features that require root privilege. Also, you can enjoy all the Xposed Modules for advanced customization if Riru is supported for the Magisk version you are using. Check out the guide to install Xposed Framework.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Nubia Red Magic 7 Pro and how to unlock the bootloader of Red Magic 7 Pro. In case of any queries, do let us know in the comment section.