Nokia is one of the phone brands which doesn’t allow users to unlock bootloader on their phones. But due to bugs in the October build firmware, it was possible to unlock bootloader on both Nokia 7.2 as well as Nokia 6.2. But after the December update, the ability to unlock bootloader is no longer possible. But you can still unlock bootloader and root your device. Here you will know How to Root Nokia 6.2 and how to unlock bootloader on Nokia 6.2.
Nokia 6.2 is an impressive mid-budget Android phone which comes with premium design. The device boasts some great features which combine with Stock Android and provides an immersive experience. But if you want additional advance features like customization, module support then it is not possible on Nokia phones. Luckily we have a chance to unlock bootloader on Nokia 6.2 for free, thanks to the Firmware that has a bug that allows users to unlock bootloader easily. If you have updated your phone to the latest update available then unlocking bootloader is a bit tricky but possible.
Rooting gives access to users at the system level which allows users to change anything on the device. Like if you want to add a battery saver module or ad blocker module. Then you need to have root access on your device. But rooting an Android nowadays is a bit challenging as compared to the older Android phones. It is because of the type of partition that modern phones have like A/B partition. But thanks to the tool/app called Magisk developed by John Wu which makes the rooting easy.
How to Root Nokia 6.2
Just like the Nokia 7.2, you can also root the Nokia 6.2. Only a few Nokia phones can be rooted and Nokia 6.2 is one of them. Nokia should take a step to provide at least the option to unlock the bootloader to make the user’s trust stronger. Rooting gives many advantages to the user like adding custom fonts, third party themes, custom boot animation and more. But to root any device the bootloader should be unlocked so first follow the unlocking bootloader guide and then move to root guide.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Nokia 6.2
Brands like Oppo and Vivo, Nokia also restrict users from unlocking bootloader on their Nokia devices. But it is possible to unlock the bootloader on Nokia 6.2 & Nokia 7.2. So it’s good news for the Nokia 6.2 users that they can also take advantage of custom development. But you need to make sure of a few things which you will know in the below steps.
- If you have updated your device in December or later then you need to downgrade to the October or November build. Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC.
- Also, take a full backup of your important data to restore later because unlocking bootloader will delete all data from the phone.
- Now open Settings on your phone and go to System > About Phone. Look for Build Number and click on it about 7-8 times & it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- Then go to Settings > System > Developer options. And in developer options enable OEM Unlocking.
- Turn off your phone and connect to the computer with a USB cable. When the device starts charging then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot the Nokia 6.2 into Fastboot mode.
- Open command window or CMD on your computer and enter the below command.
fastboot flashing unlock
- It will prompt two options on your phone, choose ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ option by using Volume buttons and then press the Power button.
- Now the device will reset and the bootloader will be unlocked. The device will then reboot into the system.
This way you can simply unlock the bootloader on your Nokia 6.2. Keeping the older Firmware of Nokia 6.2 could be beneficial for later like if you want to unlock the bootloader of the other Nokia 6.2. Once the bootloader is unlocked you can begin the rooting process but first, make sure to follow the requirement list.
- Take a full backup to ensure no data loss in case of failure
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Firmware, the same version which is installed (Skip if you have the file)
Must Read | Download Google Camera 7.0 for Nokia 6.2
Steps to Root Nokia 6.2
You can root your phone either by using the TWRP Recovery & Magisk or using the Magisk Patched Image. Luckily the TWRP Recovery is available for the phone which you can install on your phone for advanced recovery options. But here we will be using the Magisk Patched boot image to root the Nokia 6.2.
- Extract the Firmware on your computer and copy the Boot Image file to your phone.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone and open it.
- In the Magisk Manager click on the upper Install and then again click Install.
- In the next tab choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now locate the boot image and wait for patching. The patched file will be saved to Download Folder.
- Copy the magisk patched image file to your computer in C:/adb location. Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Now boot your device into Fastboot with the method given above in unlock bootloader guide.
- Connect your phone to the computer, if already connected then skip it.
- Go to C:\adb on your computer and press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Now in the Command/PowerShell window enter the below command to boot your phone into the rooted system.
fastboot boot boot.img
- Once the device boot into system open Magisk Manager App and it will ask for additional setup so press NO.
- Now click on the upper Install option and then click on the ‘Direct Install (Recommended)’. Remember it requires Internet access to get these options.
- Now the Magisk will be flashed and so wait for the flashing process.
- Reboot your phone once the flashing is done. You can disconnect your phone.
You now have the Nokia 6.2 rooted and you can use all of the rooted features. It allows you to uninstall any app you want and install Xposed Modules as well as Magisk Modules.
So there you have it the complete guide on How to Root Nokia 6.2 and how to unlock bootloader on Nokia 6.2. When rooting or unlocking bootloader if you get any error during the procedure then let us know in the comment section.