In the past couple of years, foldable phones improved a lot in terms of durability as well as popularity. Motorola Razr 5G is the second foldable phone from Motorola or you can say second gen foldable phone. And if you are a proud owner of the Motorola Razr 5G 2020, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to Root Motorola Razr 5G and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G.
If we talk about its specification, the phone features a big 6.2-inch primary display and 2.7-inch secondary display. The device is powered by a Snapdragon 765G processor. Motorola Razr 5G was launched in 2020 with Android 10 out of the box. The UI on the phone is similar to Stock Android and doesn’t come with customization features. But you can root Motorola Razr 5G to customize and use your phone as you want.
Motorola Razr is a successful series and we may get to see more phones in this series. And you can follow this guide for all the Motorola Razr phones. If anyone who wants to access root files with write access and want advanced customization features then rooting is the best option. Since custom ROMs are not available for many Motorola phones, Root access allows users to enjoy the latest Android features.
How to Root Motorola Razr 5G
Motorola Razr 5G 2020 is a power packed phone with a lot of features and rooting will add more value to it. Rooting in 2021 is still a challenging task but it is worth it. Thanks to John Wu, the Magisk developer which makes it all possible. Rooting brings many features such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes and more. But rooting is required to unlock bootloader so first you will know how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G. You can skip it, if your phone’s bootloader is already unlocked.
Motorola Razr 5G Unlock Bootloader
Android phones from all brands come with locked bootloader by default. However, you can get an unlocked version from some carriers. But if you have a phone with a locked bootloader then you cannot root or install custom recovery without unlocking the bootloader. Luckily Motorola allows its users to easily unlock bootloader. As it follows a unique method, we will share how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G.
- First take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Razr 5G will wipe all the data.
- To connect devices you need some drivers, so install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Razr 5G into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5-line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
Once you unlock the bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G, you can check for it by going to Developer Options and OEM Unlocking. It should be enabled. After unlocking bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G, you can proceed with rooting your phone. Also make sure to go through the requirements.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Motorola Razr 5G Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Razr 5G with Magisk
You can root your phone using Magisk in different ways such as flashing Magisk Zip or installing a Patched boot image. Since you need a custom recovery to flash Magisk, you need to first install custom recovery. Here in this guide, we will share how to root Motorola Razr 5G with a patched boot image.
- Copy the Motorola Razr 5G firmware to your computer. And then extract the firmware using 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img file to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola Razr 5G to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Razr 5G.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
You can check for root access using root checker. And once you have the root access on your phone, you can customize your phone as you want. You can also install Xposed Framework on your phone to enjoy best Xposed Modules. Root access also let you block ads and remove pre-installed apps from device.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Razr 5G and how to unlock the bootloader of Motorola Razr 5G. In case if you have any issues, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: