Motorola One Zoom is one of the best budget phones that provides Stock Android like experience. The phone was released almost a year ago and it’s the perfect time to modify the device. If you own the device and are looking for a root guide then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Motorola One Zoom and how to unlock bootloader.
The phone has already started receiving custom developments including Custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, and more. Lets now check some main specifications of the device. The phone runs on Android 9 Pie out of the box which is upgradable to Android 10. Motorola One Zoom features a 6.39-inch Super AMOLED FHD+ display. It is one of the most unique and amazing phones under a budget.
The phone comes with a Snapdragon 675 processor integrated with Adreno 612 GPU. Moto One Zoom packs a quad rear camera setup including 48MP + 8MP + 16MP + 5MP sensors. And at the front, the device has a 25MP selfie camera. In this guide, you will know how to root Moto One Zoom along with the Motorola One Zoom Unlock Bootloader guide.
How to Root Motorola One Zoom
If you are bored of using the Stock Android on your Moto One Zoom and want to try some refreshing UI then you can try various custom ROMs. And now it’s all easy as the official TWRP Recovery is available for Motorola One Zoom. And it means now we have two different methods to root Motorola One Zoom. But here we are going to share the TWRP Recovery method.
In case if you only want to flash Custom ROMs then it’s not compulsory to root your phone. But you can still root your phone for various other features. Rooting brings a lot of advanced features to a device that includes custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and much more. You can also install the Xposed Framework which is one of the biggest customization platforms.
If you want to root or even install a custom ROM then you need to first unlock bootloader of your Motorola One Zoom. You can follow the below guide if you are not aware of it.
Motorola One Zoom Unlock Bootloader
All Android phones including Motorola phones come with locked bootloader by default. And some brand allows its users to unlock it. Luckily Motorola is one of these brands. However, the method is a bit complicated but if you follow the right instructions then you can easily unlock the bootloader of Motorola One Zoom. Let’s check the guide.
- First, take a full backup of your phone ad unlocking bootloader on Motorola One Zoom will delete all the data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC. You can also install a Motorola USB Driver if you want, but it is not necessary.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap about 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer option, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your device and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola One Zoom into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Motorola One Zoom. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
Guide to Root Motorola One Zoom with TWRP Recovery
We can root our Motorola One Zoom with either using a custom recovery or using a patched boot image. In both cases, we need a Magisk file to root Motorola One Zoom. Here we are going to use TWRP and Magisk combination for an effective root guide. You can also use the general method that you can follow in case you don’t want to install a custom recovery (follow this guide, make sure to use correct files as the phone is different). Now let’s check how to install TWRP on Motorola One Zoom which we will use to flash Magisk.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola One Zoom
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk and Magisk Manager
- Download TWRP Recovery for Motorola One Zoom
Download & Install TWRP Recovery on Motorola One Zoom
- Extract the downloaded TWRP Zip file on your computer if you have downloaded the zip file. Skip if you have an image file.
- Then copy the TWRP recovery image file to C:\adb location on your PC. Use the Platform-tools folder instead of C:\adb if you have macOS or Linux. Copy the Magisk Manager to your Phone storage.
- Rename the latest TWRP recovery image file as twrp.img for easy command process.
- Now turn off your phone and then boot your phone into Fastboot mode. Now connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- In the C:\adb or Platform Tools rename the path/address to CMD and press enter and it will open CMD or Command window.
- Now enter the below commands to install TWRP Recovery on your phone.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- The above command will install the TWRP Recovery on your phone and now you can boot your phone to TWRP Recovery using the below command.
fastboot reboot recovery
- Now you can use the TWRP on your device. Stay in the TWRP Recovery if you want to root. Or you can reboot into the system if you just need TWRP without root.
Steps to Root Moto One Zoom with Magisk
- In the TWRP Recovery click on the Install button.
- Then browse and select the Magisk zip file.
- After that swipe the slider to flash Magisk and root your Motorola One Zoom.
- Now reboot your phone into the system and enjoy rooted Motorola One Zoom.
Now you have successfully rooted your Motorola One Zoom, and now you can use all the restricted features. Like removing system apps that you don’t use or removing ads from your phone.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola One Zoom along with its Unlock Bootloader guide. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.