Motorola One 5G is one of the cheapest 5G budget phones. It comes with some great specs within budget and lets you experience 5G without spending much. There are a few other budget 5G phones from Motorola. And One 5G is among the first batch of phones to come with 5G support. If you own this device then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to Root Motorola One 5G and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola One 5G.
There are now a few budget 5G phones under the Moto series including Moto One 5G. The device comes with a 6.7-inch Full HD+ display that supports up to 90Hz refresh rate. It comes with Snapdragon 765G processor and 4GB RAM & 128GB storage. One of its main features is the massive battery of 5000mAh.
Like other Motorola phones, it also runs on Android 10 based My UX which is nearly the same as Stock Android. And so you may not find any customization options. It is bloat free but boring. You can root Motorola One 5G to get advanced customization options on your phone. Here you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Motorola One 5G.
How to Root Motorola One 5G
If you like to try different custom ROMs, custom Recoveries, etc then it may not be possible to try on Motorola phones. It is one of the drawbacks of Motorola devices that it does get custom developments. Fortunately, you can still root your Motorola One 5G for advanced features that any can get from custom ROMs. But to root your phone you need to first unlock the bootloader of Motorola One 5G.
Motorola One 5G Unlock Bootloader
All OEMs release their smartphones with locked bootloaders for security purposes. It restricts users from making system changes on the device. It means you can not install custom ROMs or root your Motorola One 5G. Luckily, Motorola lets users unlock the bootloader of their phones. And it’s an advantage for Motorola users. You can easily unlock the bootloader of Motorola One 5G.
- At first, take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola One 5G will wipe all the data.
- To connect devices you need some drivers, so install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola One 5G into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola One 5G. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader of Motorola One 5G, you can check the status in the developer options. If the bootloader is unlocked then you can check OEM Unlocking status under Developer Options. And after unlocking the bootloader you can root your device. But first, check out the requirements.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola One 5G
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Motorola One 5G Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola One 5G
Motorola phones are not popular among custom developers and that’s why most devices don’t get any custom ROMs or Mods. But rooting is still possible which allows users to customize their phones as they want. You can change boot animation, custom fonts, third party themes, and more. You can follow the given steps to root Motorola One 5G.
- Copy the Motorola One 5G firmware to your computer. And then extract the firmware using 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img file to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola One 5G to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola One 5G.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Motorola One 5G you can use any App or any customization tweaks on your phone. It let you flash Xposed Framework which is a gateway for Xposed Modules. These modules will help you to get many new features and customization on the device.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola One 5G and how to unlock the bootloader of Motorola One 5G. In case if you have any issues, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: