Motorola is a popular Smartphone brand, and recently the company has released a flagship Motorola Edge Plus after a long time. But we are here to talk about one of the best value phones, which is Motorola Moto G Stylus. You can get the Moto G Stylus for as low as $145 from best buy. Officially the phone is priced at $299, but you can get the phone in offers for $150 or $200. And if you are getting Galaxy Note stylus experience in this budget, then it is a great value phone. You can cleverly enhance the experience using some tricks. Here you will know How to Root Moto G Stylus and Unlock Bootloader.
In the past few years, Motorola is focusing on only Mid-range phones. Company has recently released some impressive phones like Moto G Power, Moto G Stylus, Motorola One Hyper, Motorola One Vision, Motorola One Action, and more. Each of these phones comes with amazing specifications along with one focused specification that you can guess through the device name. Moto G Stylus comes with a quad rear camera setup and a Stylus. Generally, we get stylus on high-end tablets and phones like the Galaxy Note series.
Motorola phones are easy to root as the company allow us to unlock bootloader without any issues. Android phones come with restrictions means there are more features that you can unlock after rooting. Rooting brings advance options like applying custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. After rooting, we can also install Xposed Modules on the device for Customizations. You can root Motorola Moto G Stylus by following this guide.
How to Root Moto G Stylus
Motorola phones are easy to root once the bootloader is unlocked. There are some methods to root Motorola devices like installing Magisk via Custom Recovery or flashing a patched boot image. We will use the patched file to root Moto G Stylus as it works for most of the Android phones. But rooting requires unlocked bootloader, so first, we have to unlock bootloader on Moto G Stylus.
Motorola Moto G Stylus Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with locked bootloader by default for security reasons. But it also restricts many features, and if it is locked, we can not root our phones. Motorola is one of the brands that allow us to unlock bootloader like Samsung, Xiaomi, OnePlus, and some others. You can use the below steps to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC. Unlocking bootloader on Moto G Stylus will delete all the data, so first take a full backup of your phone.
- You can also install Motorola USB Driver if you want, but it is not necessary.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap about 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- When the developer option is enabled, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now completely turn off your device. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together.
- When the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. And while the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to your PC.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Motorola Moto G Stylus. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
That’s it now the Motorola Moto G Stylus bootloader is unlocked, which means you can now root your Moto G Stylus easily. But before rooting, make sure to go through requirements.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G Stylus
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G Stylus Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Must Check | Download Google Camera 7.3 for Moto G Stylus
Root Motorola Moto G Stylus with Magisk
- First, copy the Magisk Manager apk canary build to your phone and install the app on your device.
- Extract the downloaded firmware on your PC and copy the boot.img to your phone storage. Also, remember the location of the file.
- Now open the Magisk Manager App on your phone and click on Install > Install. Check out the below image for convenience.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ option. And then locate the boot.img file and wait for the patching process.
- After patching, the file will be saved to Download folder with name patched_boot.img or magisk_patched.img.
- Now copy the patched_boot.img to your computer at C:\adb location. Rename the file to boot.img (eg. patched_boot.img to boot.img).
- Power off your phone and then boot your Motorola Moto G Stylus into Fastboot mode. And for this, long press Volume Down + Power button together until you see the Fastboot screen.
- When the phone boots to Fastboot mode, connect your Moto G Stylus to the computer.
- In the C:\adb folder press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto G Stylus.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
That’s it, now your Moto G Stylus is rooted, and you can access all the root features. After root, you can disable ads from your phone, and also you can install system apps that you don’t use.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G Stylus along with Motorola Moto G Stylus Unlock Bootloader guide. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.