Motorola is now back in the Flagship game with its latest Motorola Edge Plus. Its been a few years since the company has released a premium device. But they came with a true rival to other flagship devices. Its main specification is the 90-degree waterfall display. The company has also revealed the lite version of Motorola Edge Plus for a much affordable price. But this guide is all about the pro variant that provides blazing-fast performance. You can also enable additional features by rooting your device. And here, you will know how to root Motorola Edge Plus along with a guide on how to unlock bootloader on Motorola Edge Plus.
The Motorola Edge Plus will soon be available in many markets and so if you get this device and want to root, then this guide is for you. Now, if we talk about some specifications, the phone comes with the latest Snapdragon 865 processor with an X55 5G modem. It features a big 6.7-inch 90Hz OLED FHD+ display. It has a waterfall display that can be used for many other purposes like notifications alert, switch between apps, and more. The phone coupled with 12GB RAM and 256GB internal storage.
Android phones generally have more features then what you get by default. And to unlock those features, you need to root your phone. Rooting any device lets us do advanced functions. After rooting your Motorola Edge Plus, you can apply custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. You can also install Xposed Modules on your phone after getting the Xposed framework, which only works on rooted phones. By following this guide, you can root Motorola Edge Plus along with Motorola Edge Plus unlock bootloader guide.
How to Root Motorola Edge Plus
Some popular phones like Moto G4 Plus, Moto G5 Plus are still receiving custom developments like Custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, and much more. Motorola allows its users to unlock their phones and so it’s possible to root it easily. There are a few methods to root Motorola Edge Plus like flashing Magisk through TWRP recovery or flashing magisk patched boot image. Here we are going to share the patched boot image file to root Motorola Edge Plus. But as you know rooting requires unlocking bootloader of Motorola Edge Plus so we will first the Unlocking guide. You can skip it if your phone already unlocked.
Motorola Edge Plus Unlock Bootloader
One of the advantages of owning Motorola phones is that we can easily unlock the bootloader by following the official method. By default, all the phones come with the locked bootloader, which restricts users from modifying their phones. But unlike Oppo, Vivo, Nokia, the Motorola allows unlocking bootloader. So let’s check out the steps to unlock bootloader on Motorola Edge Plus.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC. Unlocking bootloader on Motorola Edge Plus will delete all the data, so first take a full backup of your phone.
- You can also install Motorola USB Driver if you want, but it is not necessary.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap about 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- When the developer option is enabled, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now completely turn off your device. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together.
- When the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. And while the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect your phone to your PC.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Motorola Edge Plus. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
And once the bootloader unlocked on your phone, you can easily root your phone. Rooting any phone is restricted because of locked bootloader otherwise, it is much easier to root. So let’s now check the guide to root Motorola Edge Plus but before that, make sure to go through the requirements below.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge Plus
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Motorola Edge Plus Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Must Check | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Motorola Devices [Latest APK]
Steps to Root Motorola Edge Plus
If you have a custom recovery available on your phone, then you can directly flash Magisk Zip to root your phone. But if the custom recovery is not available, then follow the steps given below.
- First, extract the Motorola Edge Plus firmware on your computer.
- Copy the boot.img from extracted Firmware to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your Motorola Edge Plus.
- After installing, open the Magisk Manager and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching it.
- After patching, the output file will be stored in the download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola Edge Plus to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. You can boot into Fastboot by following steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Edge Plus.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Now you have successfully rooted your Motorola Edge Plus, and now you can use all the restricted features. Like removing system apps that you don’t use or removing ads from your phone.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Edge Plus along with its Unlock Bootloader guide. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.