Motorola Edge 30 Pro is the latest flagship phone from Motorola. The device was released in March 2022 with flagship specifications. If you are one of the users who is planning to buy it or already using it then this is a useful guide for you. Here you will know how to root Motorola Edge 30 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro.
Before we jump into steps let’s have a quick look at its specifications. As you already know it is a flagship phone, you don’t have to settle for medium specs. The Motorola Edge 30 Pro comes with a simple glossy finish on the back. Its camera placement is where it received mixed reviews. And the front includes a punch-hole camera placed at top center.
Motorola Edge 30 Pro features a big 6.7-inch AMOLED FHD+ display. The display supports up to a 144Hz refresh rate. The device comes with the latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor. It is coupled with 8GB/12GB RAM and 128GB/256GB/512GB internal storage.
Motorola Edge 30 Pro comes with the latest Android 12 OS which brings an attractive UI compared to the older Android 11. Since Motorola offers near stock experience, users who want to heavily customize their phones may want to switch to a custom ROM or can also root their Motorola Edge 30 Pro. In this guide, you will also know how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro.
How to Root Motorola Edge 30 Pro
There are many reasons to root Motorola Edge 30 Pro and a few reasons not to. If you are okay with risks such as bricking your device, and not getting official OTA updates, then you can root your Motorola Edge 30 Pro without a doubt. Rooting brings many advanced features such as you can modify your phone as you want. But as usual, you need to first unlock the bootloader. So let’s first check how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro.
Motorola Edge 30 Pro Unlock Bootloader
Following Android standards, Motorola phones also come with locked bootloader. It means there is no such thing as a one click root. Locked bootloader restrict users from modifying at the root level. And so to root your device, you need to unlock the bootloader first. Luckily Motorola allows users to unlock bootloader of their phones. Here is the way to unlock the bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro.
- Take a full backup of your Motorola phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Edge 30 Pro will format all the data.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC. Download platform tools folder if fastboot drivers are not working.
- Now on your phone open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap Build Number 7-8 times, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Edge 30 Pro into Fastboot Mode.
- Once the Fastboot screen appears on your phone, release both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open it from Platform Tools location in case you are using the platform tools in place of the driver.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Now go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and log in with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key‘ (make sure to select I Agree).
- You will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot and set up your device.
After unlocking bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro, you can verify it from OEM unlocking in developer option or from the bootloader mode. Now you are all set to proceed with the rooting steps.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK
- Download the Motorola Edge 30 Pro Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Edge 30 Pro
- Transfer the Motorola Edge 30 Pro firmware to your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR. Copy the boot image to your phone.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk app and click on the first Install button.
- Next, choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file magisk_patched.img will be saved in the download folder.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your PC in C:\adb folder or platform tools folder if you are using Platform Tools. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Now reboot your Motorola Edge 30 Pro to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer via USB.
- Go to C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder (where you saved the boot image file) and replace the folder location with CMD and hit enter to open CMD on that location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Enter the below command to flash patched Magisk file and root Motorola Motorola Edge 30 Pro.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your phone, you will be able to use all the apps and features that require root privilege. You can customize your phone for better performance like removing pre installed apps and more. Root access also allows installing Xposed Modules. To use modules, you can use this guide to install Xposed Framework.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Edge 30 Pro and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 30 Pro. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: