Moto G9 Power is the latest device in the Moto G9 series. The last Moto G8 Power response must have been good and so the company decided to continue the series. Basically, the Power series packs a massive battery and a bigger display. And if you own this device, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Moto G9 Power and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G9 Power.
Motorola is popular for its budget phones. And the Moto G series is the best series under the budget category. Now let’s talk about the Moto G9 Power features. The device comes with a 6.8-inch display with HD+ resolution. It packs a massive 6000mAh battery. Like other Moto phones, it runs on near-stock UI based on Android 10. It means you shouldn’t expect customization options on your device.
And in case if you want to customize your device then this guide is for you. We will share a guide to root Moto G9 Power. It will allow you to customize your Moto device and even change your system configurations. Rooting brings a lot of new features such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. We will be also sharing the guide to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G9 Power.
How to Root Moto G9 Power
Motorola phones are not popular among custom developers, but you can still root your device for advanced features. Fortunately the OEM allows users to root their phones. And the process is also easy which means you can proceed with rooting steps when you want. But as you know to root an Moto G9 Power, you need to first unlock bootloader of Moto G9 Power.
Moto G9 Power Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with a security feature that restricts users from modifying system settings and files. It is called the bootloader which is locked by default. It means you can not root your Android phone by default. And you need to first unlock the bootloader. Luckily the brand let users unlock the bootloader of their phones. You can also unlock the bootloader of Moto G9 Power with the given steps.
- Make sure to first take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader on Moto G9 Power will wipe all the data.
- The process requires some drivers so install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC.
- Open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Moto G9 Power into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Connect your phone to your PC after booting into Fastboot.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Moto G9 Power. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
Now you have unlocked your phone successfully. And you can check the unlocked status from Settings > Developer Options. If OEM Unlocking is greyed out then the bootloader is unlocked. Now your device is all set for root access. Before you head to the rooting steps make sure to download the required tools and files.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G9 Power
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G9 Power Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G9 Power with Magisk
There are a few methods to install Magisk and root an Android phone. Here in this guide, we will be using the patched file. It doesn’t require any custom recovery or other tool for installing the Magisk. Motorola phones don’t get recoveries and other custom works any time soon and in that case, this guide works pretty well. Let’s now jump into the steps.
- Extract the Moto G9 Power firmware on your computer using 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img file to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G9 Power to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Moto G9 Power.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Once you have root access on your phone, you can use Apps such as Root Explorer, Greenify, Titanium Backup, etc. It brings options such as system Ad Blocker support, removes pre-installed apps, and more.
If you like to customize your device and get advanced features then you can flash the Xposed Framework. It will let you install various Xposed Modules. If you use the right modules, you don’t even need to flash any custom ROMs for refreshed UI.
So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G9 Power and how to unlock the bootloader of Moto G9 Power. In case if you have any issues, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: