The latest member of the Moto G series family is the all-new Moto G82. It is currently available in limited regions but in a few weeks, it will reach other markets too. If you have already got yourself a new Moto G82 and are looking for a root guide, then this is the guide for you. Here you will know how to root Moto G82 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G82.
As usual, let’s first go through the quick specs details of Motorola G82. The phone comes with a 6.6-inch FHD+ AMOLED display which supports up to 120Hz refresh rate. Moto G82 runs on Android 12 OS out of the box. The phone is powered by Snapdragon 695 processor coupled with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage.
The camera setup on the phone is also impressive. Rear camera setup includes 50MP main camera + 8MP ultrawide camera + 2MP macro camera. And on the front, there is a 16MP selfie camera. With all these specs the phone performance is great but still, there are some features that are accessible after root. Along with root, here we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Moto G82.
How to Root Moto G82
Rooting an Android phone opens the gate to many features and apps that generally don’t work on non rooted phones. You can also access basic functions like applying custom fonts, third party themes, and more. Android security has improved a lot these days. And so before rooting you need to unlock the bootloader of Moto G82.
Moto G82 Unlock Bootloader
Motorola phones also come with locked bootloader. But in many regions, users are allowed to unlock bootloader of their phones. Unfortunately, some carrier does allow unlocking so make sure you have the correct model in which you can unlock the bootloader. Or you can also follow the guide if it’s working or not. Unlocking bootloader allows you to root your phone or even install custom ROMs. Now let’s jump into the steps to unlock bootloader of Moto G82.
- First take a full backup of your Moto G82 as this process of unlocking bootloader will reset your phone.
- Now install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC. You can also use platform tools if you don’t want to use ADB & Fastboot drivers.
- On your phone, open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number. It should show ‘You are now a developer’ or you are already a developer.
- After that go to Settings > System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Now turn off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Moto G82 into Fastboot Mode.
- Once the fastboot screen appears you can let go of both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open Command/cmd window from C:\adb or from Platform Tools if you are using it (Guide to open CMD from a location).
- Now enter the below command to get a code.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy bootloader text in case of windows and Info text in case of Mac.
- Next, go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and log in with your Motorola account that logged in to your phone.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on the ‘Can my device be unlocked’ button and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Now you will receive a code in your mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter.
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- The above command will unlock bootloader of Moto G82. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader you can confirm it in the developer options or in the bootloader mode. Now you can proceed with rooting steps.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto G82
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK
- Download the Moto G82 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G82 with Magisk
- First copy the Moto G82 firmware on your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your Motorola phone.
- Open the app and click on the Install button next to Magisk.
- Now choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file. It will start patching the boot image.
- After patching, the output file will appear in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or something related to it.
- Now copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb or platform tools (whichever method you are using). Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Now reboot your Moto G82 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your PC (Follow the process from unlock bootloader section).
- Open CMD from C:\adb folder or platform-tools folder where you saved the boot image file (check guide here). You can open it by entering CMD in the file location.
- Check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the next command to flash patched Magisk and root Motorola Moto G82.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed. Check if the Magisk version is the latest. If there is an update, then update to the latest version.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
Once you have rooted your Moto G82, you can cross check using any third party root checker app or Magisk app itself. In Magisk app if it shows Update or Uninstall (anything other than Install) next to Magisk then your phone is probably rooted. Now you can enjoy all the apps and features that require root privilege. You can also install Xposed Modules. We have a guide on how to install Xposed Framework that you can check.
So this was a complete guide on how to root Moto G82 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G82. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: