Moto G is one of the popular series from Motorola owned by Lenovo. And the latest phones of the series are Moto G8 Plus and Moto G8 Power. Both devices are great and have their own centric features like Moto G8 Power has a massive 5000mAh battery. Motorola devices are pretty good in performance because of the great combination of Hardware and Software. All Moto phones come with Stock Android which is minimal and good for performance but less customization. Here you will know How to Root Moto G8 Power and guide to unlock bootloader on Motorola Moto G8 Power.
Moto G8 Power is a budget phone which comes with specs such as Snapdragon 665 along with Adreno 610 GPU. The device features a punch hole display of 6.4-inch with 1080 x 2300 pixels resolution. Now coming to the camera section then it comes with a quad rear camera setup and a 16MP front selfie camera. Moto G8 Power runs on the latest stock Android 10 OS and can be upgraded to the next Android. There is no denying that the device performance is great compared to other mid range devices. But you can further increase the performance if you want too.
Rooting brings many advance features that help to increase performance and used for customization. It allows installing custom fonts, third party themes, custom boot animation and much more. It also let us install Xposed Modules that are used for tons of tweaks. So if you want to root your Moto G8 Power let’s jump into the guide.
How to Root Moto G8 Power
Rooting Motorola devices are much easier than rooting some other brand devices like Samsung, and Realme. And all thanks to Motorola that it gives freedom to control our devices as we want, unlike Oppo, Vivo, Nokia. There are many methods to root a Motorola device but here I will share the guide to root Motorola G8 Power with Magisk Patched files. But to root the device we have to first unlock bootloader on Moto G8 Power. So let’s first start with unlocking the bootloader.
Moto G8 Power Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with locked bootloader out of the box, but some brands allow us to unlock bootloader and Motorola is one of these companies. So it means you can easily unlock the bootloader of Moto G8 Power. But the method is a bit different for unlocking bootloader on Motorola compared to other phones. So make sure to follow the below steps carefully.
- First take a full backup of your phone as unlocking bootloader will delete all data. Also, install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer.
- Open Settings on your phone and go to About Phone. Tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Options.
- Now go to Settings > System > Developer Options and enable OEM Unlocking.
- Turn off your phone. Then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together.
- When the Fastboot screen appears, release both buttons. Once the phone boot into Fastboot mode, connect Moto G8 Power to Computer.
- Go to C:\adb and replace C:\adb with CMD in the location field and press enter.
- Now in the command window, enter the below command to get unlock code
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Then click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and after that click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- You will receive a code in your Email that you used in the Motorola account. Copy the received code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter.
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Again enter the above command and it will unlock bootloader on Motorola G8 Power. It will delete all the data from your phone. After unlocking, reboot and set up your device.
Now your device is unlocked and all set to root the device. Follow the below guide to root your Motorola Moto G8 Power using Magisk. It is tested and working without any error, but make sure to follow steps carefully. Also, make sure to go through the below requirements.
- Take a full backup of data (Unlocking bootloader will delete all the data)
- Install Motorola USB Drivers on PC
- Download Magisk Manager APK on your phone (Canary Build)
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- Download Firmware for your phone (the same version that is installed on your phone)
Must Read | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Motorola Devices [Latest APK]
Root Moto G8 Power with Magisk Patched File
- Copy the Firmware on your computer and extract the Firmware.
- Open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage. Remember the location as you need in later steps.
- Now install Magisk Manager apk on your Moto G8 Power and open it.
- In the Magisk Manager App click on Install > Install.
- And on the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’, and locate the boot image file that you copied.
- It will start patching the file so wait for the process. After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img file.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img to the C:\adb folder and rename it to boot.img.
- Turn off your phone and then boot your Moto G8 Power into Fastboot mode, for this long press Volume Down + Power button together until you see the Fastboot screen.
- When the device is in Fastboot Mode, connect it to your computer.
- In C:\adb folder replace C:\adb with CMD and press enter and it will open the command window.
- In the command window enter the below command to check the device is connected or not, entering below command should return some ID.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk patched file and root Moto G8 Power
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, you can reboot your phone to the system.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and follow the in-app instructions.
Now your Motorola Moto G8 Power is rooted and you can enjoy additional features. It allows you to install apps like Adblocker to block Ads system wide. You can also flash the Magisk Zip file from TWRP Recovery to root your Moto G8 Power.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Motorola Moto G8 Power along with a guide to unlock the bootloader of Moto G8 Power. If you have any questions on your mind then let us know in the comment section below.