In the past couple of years, Motorola released many budget phones like Moto G Stylus 2021, Moto G9, Moto G8, Moto One 5G, Moto G Stylus, Moto One Series, and more. In 2021, Motorola revised the Moto G Stylus with better specifications. The new Moto G Stylus 2021 comes with a better stylus touch response and a big display. If you have Moto G Stylus 2021 then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Moto G Stylus 2021 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021.
The first Moto G Stylus or Moto G Stylus 2020 was released back in February 2020. And about a year later the OEM announces its better and improved version. The new Moto G Stylus 2021 features a big 6.8-inch full HD+ display. It comes with the standard 60Hz refresh rate which is fair for its price. The device is powered by Snapdragon 678 processor.
Some other features include a quadruple rear camera setup, 4000mAh battery. Moto G Stylus runs on Android 10 out of the box. And you already know there aren’t enough options on Motorola phones for customization. Also, you will find limited custom ROMs for the device or even none. So, in that case you can root Moto G Stylus 2021 for more advanced features.
How to Root Moto G Stylus 2021
Most of the Motorola phones are budget phones with limited features and performance. But what if you want to customize your phone or even want to change root files? For any advance modifications, you need to root your phone. And as we all know your requirement here you will know the root method for Moto G Stylus 2021 edition. But for rooting, you need to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021 which is mandatory.
Moto G Stylus 2021 Unlock Bootloader
Android phones come with locked bootloader for security reasons. And it restricts us from rooting or installing custom ROMs on our phones. So, this is the reason for unlocking bootloader. Luckily Motorola allows unlocking bootloader but it has a different process compared to the process followed for other OEMs. Make sure to follow all the steps carefully to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021.
- Unlocking the bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021 will wipe data from your phone, so make sure to take a full backup. It will also void the warranty.
- Install required drivers, ADB & Fastboot drivers, and Motorola USB Driver on your Windows PC.
- Now go to Settings > About Phone section on your phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- After enabling the developer options, go back to Settings. Then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your phone. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Moto G Stylus 2021 into Fastboot Mode.
- When the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. And then connect your phone to your PC when the phone is in Fastboot mode.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer and enter the below command
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and adjust it in one line (use notepad for convenience). Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Now go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with your Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can confirm it by going to developer options. Make sure OEM unlocking is enabled by default. And after confirming, you are ready for the root process. Start with collecting requirements that will be used in the root process.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Moto G Stylus 2021
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G Stylus 2021 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G Stylus 2021 with Magisk
At this time, there aren’t many methods for rooting. But it is not impossible, thanks to Magisk that makes rooting possible these days. And recently Magisk received a major update that follows a different process. So make sure to check out all the steps before applying it.
- First, extract the boot.img file from Moto G Stylus 2021 firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk Manager app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G Stylus 2021 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Moto G Stylus 2021.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
That’s it, your phone is now rooted. Is it? you can check the root status on your phone with any root checker app. And if your Moto G Stylus 2021 has root access, you can enjoy all the advanced features. You can try different Xposed Modules if you like customization. You can also find a guide to install Xposed Framework on Android.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Moto G Stylus 2021 and how to unlock bootloader of Moto G Stylus 2021. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola: