The year 2020 has been about the 5G and Screen refresh rate. All the companies are embedding these features on their phones. But still, if we look into the budget segment then only a few phones are available with these features. In this guide, we will talk about the Moto G 5G Plus because the device is available in most regions and available at a reasonable price. Here you will know how to root Moto G 5G Plus and how to unlock the bootloader of Moto G 5G Plus.
Moto G 5G Plus is a popular budget phone and gives options to users for experiencing 5G features at a low price. The phone comes with a modern design for a stylish look. If we talk about the device specification, it comes with a 6.7-inch full HD+ display that has a 90Hz refresh rate. If you are switching from a 60Hz phone then you can expect a massive improvement in touch response. Moto G 5G Plus comes with Snapdragon 765 processor with 5G support. The device is available in 4GB and 6GB GB RAM variants along with 64GB & 128GB storage respectively.
Coming to camera the phone has a quad rear camera setup at the back that includes 48MP main sensor, 8MP ultrawide sensor, 5MP macro sensor, and a 2MP depth sensor. And at the front, it has 16MP + 8MP dual selfie camera setup. The device performs amazingly with these specifications but if you want, you can add a lot more advanced features. But for this, we have to root Moto G 5G Plus. But rooting is only possible if the bootloader is unlocked on Moto G 5G Plus, so we will also include it in this guide.
How to Root Moto G 5G Plus
Rooting an Android phone gives a lot of new and advanced features that we can use to improve device performance and customize your device. Some of the customization features include installing custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
Rooting also lets us install Xposed Framework on our phones that help to run Xposed Modules. Luckily rooting Motorola phones are not challenging but require a proper guide. But as you know that we need to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G 5G Plus before we can try for root. So let’s start with our first step.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G 5G Plus
If you are unaware of the bootloader then you have the phone with the locked bootloader. It restricts users from rooting and other system level changes like flashing custom ROMs, custom Recoveries, etc. Motorola is among a few brands that allow us to easily unlock the bootloader of our phones. And following this guide will let you unlock bootloader on Moto G 5G Plus. But also there are some points to note before you proceed with unlocking bootloader.
- It will void the warranty of your phone (you can relock bootloader if you want warranty back)
- Widevine certification will be degraded
- It will erase all data from your phone (So take a full backup)
Steps to unlock bootloader on Moto G 5G Plus
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC. You can also install a Motorola USB Driver if you want, but it is not necessary.
- On your Moto G 5G Plus open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap about 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Now to open developer options, go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola G 5G Plus into Fastboot Mode.
- And when the Fastboot screen appears on the phone, release both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable.
- Now open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Use the Platform-tools folder in case if you use Mac or Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- It will display 5 line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in case of Mac.
- Go to Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it in the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader on Moto G 5G Plus. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
Now that you have unlocked the bootloader of your phone, you can begin with the rooting process. It will grant you access to root files currently which you don’t have. You should only root your phone if you know about its advantages as well as disadvantages. Here are some pre rooting steps that are required for rooting Moto G 5G Plus.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Moto G 5G Plus
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Moto G 5G Plus Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Moto G 5G Plus
We can root Motorola phones with a few different methods like using a custom recovery, or Magisk patched file. As for now, the custom recovery is not available for Moto G 5G Plus, we are going to use the patched file for rooting Moto G 5G Plus.
- First, extract the Moto G 5G Plus firmware on your computer.
- Look for the boot.img file in the extracted folder and copy it to your phone storage.
- Install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install and again click on Install.
- It will ask for the method, so choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Now browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Moto G 5G Plus to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer. Follow the steps given in the unlock bootloader guide above.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window to check the device is connected or not, entering command should return some number id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Moto G 5G Plus.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, reboot your device to the system.
- If the Magisk Manager is not installed on your phone, then install the app. Skip if the app is already present.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your phone you can check for root access with any of the Root checker apps available on Play Store. Or you can check directly on the Magisk Manager app. If the app shows both Magisk and Magisk Manager in green color then you have root access on your phone.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 for Motorola Devices [Latest APK]
More Guides on Motorola: