The Mi Mix Fold is the first foldable phone from Xiaomi. Mi Mix series has a quite interesting history and the series is quite popular for devices with trending designs. The Mi Mix Fold comes with interesting specifications. And imagine with dual display the customization experience will be amazing. Is it possible, yes there are many modules that allow users to take advantage of their phones at max. But to use such modules you need to root your phone. Here you will know how to root Mi Mix Fold and how to unlock bootloader of Mi Mix Fold.
Foldable phones are now getting better every year and Mi Mix Fold is showing great innovation. The device comes with the main 8.01-inch display and a secondary 6.52-inch display when folded. The main display supports a 90Hz refresh rate. It comes with the latest Snapdragon 888 processor with 5G support. The Camera Department has a triple camera with a 108MP main sensor, a 13MP ultrawide sensor, and an 8MP telephoto sensor. There is also a 20MP selfie camera.
Mi Mix Fold is a phone with much potential and if you get to customize it, you can add many features to the phone. Luckily, we can root Xiaomi devices that allow users to customize their phones with various modules and apps. And since Mi Mix Fold is a Xiaomi phone, you can root it with the same process. Rooting is still valuable for users who know its potential or want to learn about it. Along with the root guide, we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Mi Mix Fold.
How to Root Mi Mix Fold
If you are planning to root Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold then you should also know some of its basics, if you don’t know already. Rooting an Android phone is risky as you can lose data but it’s all part of the process. It brings many advanced features that are not present on the device by default. Some of the basic features of rooting are custom fonts, custom boot animation, third-party themes, and more. But rooting an Android phone requires unlocked bootloader. So first we will share how to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold.
Mi Mix Fold Unlock Bootloader
Mi Mix Fold is a Xiaomi phone and by default, it comes with locked bootloader. It restricts users from rooting, installing custom ROMs, Custom Kernels, etc. And so, you need to first unlock bootloader of Mi Mix Fold. Luckily Xiaomi allows users to easily unlock bootloader of their phones. The process to unlock bootloader of the Xiaomi phone is simple and easy. Follow the steps given below to unlock bootloader of Mi Mix Fold.
Note: Make sure to Take a backup of your device as unlocking bootloader will delete all the data.
- Download Mi Unlock Tool from the official website as you will need it for unlocking bootloader. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your Mi Mix Fold and log in to your Mi Account. Then wait for at least 7 days. You can also try without waiting for 7 days.
- Then in Settings, go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Open Settings again and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In the developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now turn on the internet connection on your Mi Mix Fold with the same number that you used in the Mi account. Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Power off your device, then long-press the Volume Down + Power buttons together to boot Mi Mix Fold into Fastboot mode. When the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone release both buttons.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Mi Mix Fold.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Mi Mix Fold, and this will erase all the data.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can check its status from developer options. The OEM Unlocking should be enabled. And after verifying, you are good to proceed with rooting steps. Make sure to check out the prerequisites that are important for rooting.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download Mi Mix Fold firmware (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi Mix Fold with Magisk
Here in this root guide, we are going to use Magisk for rooting Mi Mix Fold. It is a remarkable tool for rooting Android phones. It works with almost all android phones with unlocked bootloader. Let’s see how to root Mi Mix Fold with Magisk.
- Extract the boot.img file from Mi Mix Fold firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File‘ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Mi Mix Fold to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here.’
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Mi Mix Fold.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk Manager if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
That’s it, now you can confirm the root access through any root checker app. Now you can use all the apps and Xposed modules that require root access. We also have a guide on how to install Xposed Framework that you can check out for customization.
Since Mi Mi Fold is a premium phone, it shouldn’t show ads. But if you want to block other ads then you can try the best Ad blockers. So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Mi Mix Fold and how to unlock bootloader of Mi Mix Fold. In case if you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Xiaomi: