Xiaomi has recently released the latest Mi 10T phone that comes with some great set of specifications. We know Xiaomi for budget devices including budget flagship phones. And Xiaomi Mi 10T is also a budget flagship phone. There is also a pro variant available for Mi 10T. And here in this guide we are going to share a guide for the Mi 10T (Pro) users. Here you will know how to root Mi 10T and how to unlock bootloader of Mi 10T.
When it comes to rooting Xiaomi is undoubtedly one of the brands that allow its users to easily root or modify their phones. There is no drama like waiting for an unlock app or other annoying restrictions that most of the Chinese brands have set. Let’s first discuss the specifications of the Mi 10T. It is a stylish phone with a 6.67-inch display that supports a 144Hz refresh rate. Mi 10T comes with Snapdragon 865 processor. Both Mi 10T and Mi 10T pro have identical specs except the camera setup.
Xiaomi phones have no restrictions when it comes to modification. It means we can easily root Mi phones, install custom Recovery, custom ROMs, and other advanced modifications. Rooting an Android phone in 2020 is totally different from what we had to do a few years back. It is now more challenging and tough. But it’s manageable with a powerful tool called Magisk. If you are here to root your Mi 10T then you are at the right place. This guide will also work for Mi 10T Pro.
How to Root Mi 10T (Pro)
If you have a question that rooting an Android phone in 2020 is worth it or not, then it all depends on the user. How much the user knows about root. And so I will suggest to first know the risks and advantages of root before performing rooting steps. Some basic advantages of rooting are the support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more. But there is one restriction so first, you need to unlock bootloader of Mi 10T and Mi 10T Pro then go with rooting steps.
Xiaomi Mi 10T Unlock Bootloader
All the Android phones come with locked bootloader by default because of security reasons. And it means we can not root our phones without unlocking bootloader. Each brand has its own specific method to unlock bootloader. To unlock bootloader of Mi 10T you have to follow an easy guide that you will find here. Go through the given steps and unlock bootloader on Mi 10T.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Mi 10T
- Unlocking bootloader on Mi 10T will delete all the data from the phone so first, take a full backup of your phone.
- You need some tools and drivers. So download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account then wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more than 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all Apps data at least once.
- Go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version. It will display ‘You are now a developer’.
- To open developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- Developer option is a hidden option with many options. You have to enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging from the options.
- Connect your phone to an active internet connection with the same number that is linked to the Mi account. Now again go to Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Turn off your phone. Then long press Volume Down + Power button together to boot Mi 10T into Fastboot mode. When you see the Mi Bunny image, release both buttons.
- Now connect your PC to an active Internet connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Mi 10T.
- The tool will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will now unlock the bootloader of Mi 10T and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stop at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking the bootloader of Mi 10T, you are allowed to perform any modification on your device. It means now you can root your Mi 10T or Mi 10T Pro. You will find a detailed guide in the steps below. But before starting make sure to go through the below-given list of requirements.
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked
- Download Magisk Manager APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver (Skip if already installed)
- Take a full backup before beginning the process
- Download firmware for your phone (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Mi 10T with Magisk
- First, you need to extract the Mi 10T firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Mi 10T.
- Now install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Then open the Magisk Manager app and in the app click on the Install > Install.
- A will pop up will appear on the screen, so choose “Select and Patch a File”. Then locate and select the boot.img.
- The above process will start patching the boot image file so wait for the patching to finish.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Now copy the magisk_patched.img from the download folder to your computer C:\adb and rename it to boot.img.
- Then turn off your phone. And boot Mi 10T into Fastboot mode using the steps given in the unlock bootloader section.
- When your phone is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the computer.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter. It will open the command window on your computer.
- In the command window enter the below command. The command should return an ID which means the device is connected.
- fastboot devices
- Now enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root Mi 10T.
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
After rooting your device you can use all the advanced options and apps that require root access. If you like customization then try the Xposed Modules that work if your device is rooted. And as you know Xiaomi phones come with a lot of bloatware and with root access you can remove pre-installed apps.
One more feature to use after rooting tour Xiaomi phones is to include ad blocker apps to block system ads. So there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Mi 10T and how to unlock bootloader of Mi 10T. In case if you have any issues then let us know in the comment section.