Black Shark is the sub-brand from Xiaomi and it is known for Gaming Smartphones. Recently the company has unveiled the latest Black Shark 3 gaming phone which is a successor of Black Shark 2. Xiaomi’s Black Shark 2 is the last year’s flagship device which comes with Snapdragon 855 processor. It packs with amazing hardware specs that make it the perfect competitor of Asus ROG Phone 2. The performance of the phone is really better than expected. We can also maximize the performance by our choice with modifications. Here you will know How to Root Black Shark 2 and guide on how to unlock bootloader on Black Shark 2.
Gaming Phone needs to have extra features like cooling system, AI Gaming Mode, high touch sensing, and grip design. The Black Shark 2 comes with a 6.39-inch AMOLED display which is FHD+ (1080 x 2340 pixels). And for the smooth experience while playing games it has a 240Hz touch-sensing display. The phone powered Snapdragon 855 processor integrated with Adreno 640. Black Shark 2 packed with three different RAM variant 6GB/8GB/12GB along with 128GB/256GB storage variants.
Well, there is no doubt that the performance of the phone is exceptional but if you want additional features to enhance gaming performance, then you need to root your Black Shark 2. Rooting the phone will enable advance options such as full control over the cooling system, ability to increase screen, refresh rate, custom boot animation, third party themes and more. It also makes the customization easy with the help of Xposed Modules. We can root Black Shark 2 but it also requires unlocking bootloader of Black Shark 2.
How to Root Black Shark 2
As you all know that the Black Shark is the sub-brand of Xiaomi, and it also allows users to unlock bootloader. It means we can root Black Shark devices. But the process for rooting Black Shark 2 is a bit different than other Xiaomi devices. There are few methods to root Black Shark 2 like using a custom recovery or ADB commands to flash Magisk patched image. And here we are going to use ADB commands to Root Black Shark 2 but for that first, you need to unlock bootloader of Black Shark 2.
Black Shark 2 Unlock Bootloader
As all the Android phones come with locked bootloader which restricts users from modifying their devices. So we need to unlock bootloader before rooting the bootloader. It is easy to unlock bootloader on Black Shark 2 but you need to be extra careful when you are unlocking bootloader. It is necessary as without unlocking you can not perform the system-level modification. So let’s get into steps to unlock bootloader on Black Shark 2.
- Unlocking bootloader will delete all data from your phone so make sure to take a full backup of your phone.
- Now open Settings on your and go to System > About Phone.
- Look for Build Number and tap on it continuously about 7-8 times and it will display ‘You are now a developer’. It means you have enabled developer options on your phone.
- Go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options.
- In Developer Options enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging. And connect your phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer. Then open Command Window or CMD on your computer.
- Now enter the below command to boot your Black Shark into Bootloader Mode
adb reboot bootloader
- The above command might ask for USB Debugging permission so allow it and if it doesn’t boot into Bootloader enter the above command once again.
- When your device is in Bootloader Mode/Fastboot Mode enter the below command to unlock bootloader of Black Shark 2.
fastboot oem bs_unlock
- The device will boot and bring the option to unlock the bootloader so using Volume buttons go to Yes and press the Power button to select it.
- Now the device will reset and the bootloader will be unlocked. After reboot set up your device.
This way you can unlock bootloader of your Xiaomi Black Shark 2. And once the bootloader is unlocked you are all set to root so prepare your device for root. Prepare means, take a full backup, gather required files and all.
- Take a full backup of your phone to avoid data loss in case if the device is bricked
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on your PC (Skip if already installed)
- Download Magisk Manager APK (Try this version if first doesn’t work)
- Download Firmware of your device (the same version that installed on your phone)
- It is tested on Black Shark 2 running on Android 9
Steps to Root Black Shark 2 with Magisk
- Extract the Firmware on your PC and you will find the boot.img. You can also download boot.img for your software version installed on your phone (And in this case you don’t need firmware).
- Copy boot.img and Magisk Manager apk on your Black Shark 2 phone.
- Now install the Magisk Manager App on your phone and open it.
- In Magisk Manager click on the first Install > Install.
- On the next screen you have to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now it will patch the boot file so wait for the patching process, it can take time depending on the network connection.
- After patching the output file (magisk_patched.img) will be saved in the Download folder.
- Copy the magisk_patched.img to your computer at c:\adb and rename the file to boot.img (magisk_patched.img to boot.img).
- Enable USB debugging on your phone and boot your Black Shark 2 on Fastboot mode using steps given in the unlock bootloader section.
- Connect your phone to PC via USB cable and follow the further instructions.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the C:\adb to CMD in address tab and press enter to open command window at location C:\adb.
- When the Command window is open then enter the below command to find the active partition.
fastboot getvar current-slot
- If it shows current slot – a then enter the first command below and if it shows current slot – b then enter the second command.
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b boot.img
- Now it will install the patched boot file to the active slot and root your Black Shark 2.
- After flashing the device will auto reboot. Open Magisk Manager and voila you have rooted Black Shark 2.
Now you get to take advantage of root, like adding modules, change root files like build.prop and many more features that you might even not heard off. There is so much to try on root phones so enjoy your rooted Black Shark 2.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Black Shark 2 along with the guide on how to unlock bootloader of Black Shark 2. And if you have any question on your mind, then let us know in the comment section below.
2 thoughts on “How to Root Black Shark 2 and Unlock Bootloader (Detailed Guide)”
Iam using macbook. How can i do root black shark 2 with my macbook
You can follow same process, and for Fastboot drivers you can use the Platform tools (download from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools). And for command it will be same but maybe initials can be different.