In the last week of August 2020, Asus introduced the new flagship devices Asus ZenFone 7 and Zenfone 7 Pro. And so we are back with a guide for the latest Asus ZenFone 7. Asus ZenFone 7 and Zenfone 7 Pro are Android phones which means we can root both devices. Here you will know how to root Asus ZenFone 7 & 7 Pro. Also, we will share how to unlock the bootloader of Asus ZenFone 7 and ZenFone 7 pro.
Both Zenfone 7 and Pro model comes with a unique design that Asus first implemented in the Asus Zenfone 6. They decided to go through a similar design as most users liked the Zenfone 6 design and appreciated the look.
Just after a week of its release Asus has released the Kernel Source and Unlock App. It means Asus is taking a step ahead from now on as many developers are showing their interest in popular phones. Both phones are more likely to receive custom ROMs and recoveries very soon. And if you are also interested in customization of your phone then you have many options and rooting is one of these.
Rooting has many benefits such as support for all the apps which require root access. Also, it allows us to add custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and a lot more advanced options. In this guide, we will also share the Asus Zenfone 7 Unlock Bootloader process along with the root guide.
How to root Asus Zenfone 7 Pro
This guide will work with both Zenfone 7 and the Zenfone 7 Pro. Asus has just released the unlock app for both phones which means the only restriction to root the phone is lifted with this unlock app. Rooting an Asus smartphone is pretty easy once you have unlocked the bootloader. And Asus has been always in support of custom developments so that users can unleash the full potential of their smartphones especially flagship and gaming phones. You can do any advanced tasks on your phone if you have root access.
Rooting any Android phone requires the bootloader to be unlocked. And so you also need to unlock the bootloader of the Asus Zenfone 7 before you start rooting your device. And as you know the official unlock app is now available, you can follow the below guide to unlock bootloader of Zenfone 7 using the unlock app.
Asus ZenFone 7 Pro Unlock Bootloader
Similar to other Android phones, Asus Zenfone 7 and 7 Pro comes with locked bootloader by default. It means you can not root your phone or install custom ROMs. And as we already have access to the unlock app, we can now easily unlock the bootloader. You can follow the below guide.
- Head over to the Asus official support page (Asus ZenFone 7 | Asus ZenFone 7 Pro).
- In the webpage switch to Drivers and Tools section.
- Click on the Select OS drop-down option and select Android.
- It will list all the important utility files including the Unlock APK.
- Now download the ‘Unlock Device App’.
- After downloading the APK transfer to your phone and install it.
- Now go to Settings > About Phone and tap 7-8 times on Build Number to turn on developer options.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Open the unlock app on your ZenFone 7 or 7 Pro and accept its Terms.
- Then you will have the button to unlock bootloader in the App itself. Remember that it will erase all data from your phone, so consider taking a full backup before using the button.
- Use the button and after unlocking bootloader, set up your device and enjoy it.
After unlocking the bootloader of Asus ZenFone 7 and ZenFone 7 Pro, you can modify your device such as installing custom ROMs, Recoveries, and also root. Follow the below requirement list to prepare for the rooting guide.
- First Unlock the Bootloader of ZenFone 7 (Pro) (use the above method)
- Take a full backup of phone’s data (To restore if you lose data)
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download & Install Magisk Manager on your Phone
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your PC
- Download Asus ZenFone 7 or 7 Pro firmware (Same version that you are using)
Steps to Root Asus Zenfone 7 Pro with Magisk
The device just got the unlock app within a week after the release. It means the device will attract known custom developers and we will get more custom ROMs, custom Recoveries on board. But as the device is new, it can take some time to get custom project results, so till then, we have another modification option that is rooting. We can root our Asus Zenfone 7 Pro with either a patched boot image or TWRP recovery. And here we are going to use the first method.
- Extract the boot image file from the Zenfone 7 / 7 Pro firmware and copy it to your phone storage.
- Now open the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- In the app, click on Install > Install.
- Then on the next screen choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot.img file from the phone storage.
- It will start patching the file and the output will be saved to the Download folder (maybe with name magisk_patched.img).
- Copy the patched boot file to your computer (in C:\adb location). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Open the Command window from the same location. In case if you have macOS or Linux then download Platform tools and copy boot.img here and open command window here.
- Boot your phone into Download/Bootloader Mode and connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Enter the below command to flash patched boot image
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After installing the Magisk on your phone, reboot it to the system.
- Now you have rooted Asus ZenFone 7 series with Magisk.
After rooting your Zenfone 7 smartphone, you can enjoy all the advanced features. Root access will let you control your device without any restrictions and you can use any app you want. You can block ads from the entire system using the best Adblocker android apps. And in case if you don’t like any pre-installed app then you can remove it easily.
You May Also Like | How to Unbrick Asus ROG Phone 3 with Unbrick Tool
So there you have it the complete guide on how to root Asus ZenFone 7 and 7 Pro with Magisk. If a custom recovery is available then you can directly use it to flash Magisk Zip file in case if you don’t want to patch any file. Do let us know in the comment section if you have any queries.