Technology has rapidly improved over the years. Take the TV for example. You would have the big boxy CRT TVs of the early years to slim flat panel smart TVs of the modern year. Now, a simple little box or a device with an HDMI port can be connected to any TV which in turn can become a smart one. The same can be said about the little TV boxes from Apple. As it is with all electronic devices, there could be a few issues where it might require performing a reset. And since that is usually the final option, here is a guide on how to reset Apple TV.
Performing a reset on your Apple TV will result in a factory reset as well as all the data, apps, and accounts being cleared out from the device. You would perform a reset maybe because it has some issues and glitches, or it could just be that you might be reselling or giving away your Apple TV. No matter what the reason is, it is always best to know how to perform such a reset. Knowing how to perform a reset on your own will help you in saving your time and not waste it by running around with customer care or for that matter look for someone else to help you reset your Apple TV. Read on to know how to perform a reset on Apple TV.
Now, we know that are different Apple TV models / generations available. Some people might have the new ones, while some might have the older models. Also, it can be possible that you might have lost the remote to your Apple Tv. But do not worry, there is a way that you can use to reset the device without the remote. First, let’s take a look at how to reset the Apple TV with a remote.
How to Reset Apple TV Gen 3 and earlier
- Power up your Apple TV.
- You can choose to let it connect to the internet.
- Using the remote, navigate and select the Settings app on your Apple TV
- Next, select the General option and then head into Reset.
- Now, you have two options to choose from.
- If you select the first option that says Reset All Settings, it will simply clear off all the data that is stored on the device.
- But, if you select the Restore option, it will clear off all the data and will also install the latest available updates for your Apple TV device.
- With whichever option is selected, the TV needs to be plugged in until the reset is done.
- This should take a few minutes and your TV should restart.
- You can choose to complete the setup or simply power the TV off.
How to Reset Apple TV 4th Gen, HD and, 4K Models
- Switch your Apple TV on and connect it to a WiFi network
- Take the remote and select the Settings app.
- With the Settings menu open, select the Systems option.
- Under System, you need to scroll and select the Reset option.
- You will be asked to choose between two options.
- Choosing the Reset option will simply clear away all your data and perform a factory reset.
- If you select the Reset and Update option, the device will clear away all your information as well as download and install the latest available software updates.
- The reset process should complete soon.
- If you choose to download the latest update, it could take a while depending on your internet connection speeds.
- When the process has been completed, you can complete the setup or simply power the Apple TV off.
How to Reset Apple TV without Remote
Now, there could be many reasons why you might not have the remote with you. It could be lost, broken, or maybe even malfunctioning. This is not a problem provided you have a computer, a cable and an internet connection. Follow these steps.
- Disconnect your Apple TV from the power source.
- Depending on what ports the Apple TV has, connect the respective cable. It could either be a Micro USB cable or the Type-C cable.
- On your Mac or PC, make sure to have the latest version of iTunes up and running.
- Now, connect the other end of the cable to your computer.
- Plugin the power Apple TV to its power source.
- The iTunes software should right away detect your Apple TV device.
- You will now see a Restore Apple TV button. Simply click on it.
- This process will now reset your Apple Tv and install the latest updates for it.
So there you have it. Different ways to reset your Apple TV. The process is simple and easy. It won’t cause you any headaches to get it done. We hope that this guide has helped you in learning how to reset the device. If you have any questions or comments about the process, feel free to drop a comment below.
More Related Stuff: