When designing the operating system, Microsoft wanted to make sure that the Start menu in Windows 11 was an informative section of the operating system. So, to achieve that, Windows 11 shows you suggestions and recommendations of not only apps that you could try from the Store, but also newly installed apps, and now it has decided to begin showing off the browsing history right on to your Start Menu.
While Microsoft thinks it’s a great way for people to continue their browsing by accessing it from the Start menu, a lot of users, including myself, simply hate this new feature. Who does this exist? No one wants to know or see their browsing history or most visited websites on the Start menu. This gets worse if you make use of the Microsoft Edge web browser as all the history and most visited websites on Edge will end up being displayed here.
Let’s take a look at how you can disable them easily.
How to Turn Off Website Recommendations in Start on Windows 11
The good part about this website’s history and recommendations that are displayed on the Start Menu is that it can be easily turned off. It is good that Microsoft lets users turn off such recommendations. Some people would like such recommendations, but there are quite a handful of them. The majority of the users of Windows 11 do not care about such information and would like to have it disabled right away.
To turn off such details, you no longer need to make use of any third-party app or dig into the Registry Editor to disable this. All of this can be done with the good and improved Settings app or Windows 11.
- Open the Start menu on your Windows 11 PC by clicking on the Windows icon on the Taskbar.
- Now, click on the Settings app icon from the Start Menu.
- With the Settings app open, click on the personalization tab on the left-hand side of the app.
- Click on the Start option displayed on the right-hand side.
- Make sure to choose the Start menu layout style as More Pins.
- Now, scroll down a bit and make sure to turn off the toggles next to where it says Show recommendations for recent apps and files as well as for shortcuts, tips, and more.
- Most importantly, make sure to turn off the toggle next to where it says Show websites from your browsing history.
Once you have disabled all of the options, your Start Menu will now be clean-looking. It will only be displaying the apps that you pin to the Start Menu.
If you want, you can always unpin those apps and replace them with apps that you would use regularly. This is how you can remove the recommended content that is usually displayed on the Start menu of your Windows 11 PC.