The number of things we can do on a smartphone has grown exponentially over the past few years. This applies also to image editing on phones. From only being able to crop or perform basic editing, we can now perform advanced tasks such as removing objects from images and even complete background. Here you will come to know the complete guide on how to remove backgrounds from Images on Android.
Background removal was available for many years but not many people knew about it and background removal was not that perfect either. Now thanks to advanced algorithms, background removal works better than ever. But there will always be room for improvements. Don’t mistake Object Eraser for Background Remover, both are different.
Why remove Backgrounds from Images?
The first question that comes to everyone’s mind is why to remove background or what is the need to remove background. Let’s say there is an object you want to share with your friends or family but not with the background, then you need to remove the background and share the object. Also if you want to set the main object to a different background you will need to remove the background and paste the object to another background.
If your photo has been photobombed by someone, you can remove that person along with other backgrounds from the photo.
Is it free to remove Image backgrounds?
Yes, the Object Remover feature is free to use on Android phones. There are some paid applications as well, but if similar work can be done for free then there is no point in paying for it. All the methods in this guide work for free.
Can you remove backgrounds from Photos without installing additional apps?
Some OEMs like Google and Samsung have an inbuilt object eraser that gives an option in the default gallery to remove objects in the background from photos. But it can not remove the complete background. So you will need to use third party service or third party app to remove the complete background from Photos.
Best ways to Remove Backgrounds from Photos on Android
If you have an Android phone and want to remove unwanted objects or complete backgrounds from Images, then you are in Luck. It is quite easy to remove image backgrounds on Android phones. And there are not one but multiple methods.
- Use Stock Feature (for object removal)
- Use third party apps
- Use background remover websites
Remove Background from Images using Background Eraser
One of the easiest ways to remove background from photos is using magic eraser. The Magic eraser is available on many applications and for this method, we will be using Background Eraser app which is quite popular among Android phones. By using Magic Eraser you can keep more than one object while removing the background.
- First Install the Background Eraser app on your Android Phone.
- Open the app. On the homepage of the app, you will find various options including how to use the app.
- Tap ‘Load a Photo‘ and select the photo you want to remove the background from.
- Now crop the image as much as you can and tap Done.
- On the next screen select the Magic option. Now move the dot around the object to make an outline. Don’t touch the main object using the red small circle.
- When you create an outline, the Magic eraser tool will auto-detect edges on your main object and only erase the background and not the object.
- After creating the outline, you can freely remove the remaining background.
- Once you remove the background you can save the image. Also, you can smoothen the edges of the object if you want.
Remove Background from Images using PhotoRoom
Looking for an app that quickly removes background from photos? That app would be PhotoRoom. The app is both free and paid. If you use the free app you have to compromise with the watermark (you can crop the watermark afterward). Here’s how to easily remove background from images on Android.
- Install the PhotoRoom app from PlayStore.
- Open the app and go through the setup.
- In the Create tab, tap the ‘Start from Photo’ button.
- It will show all images on your phone, select the photo you want to remove the background from.
- Once you select the image, the app will automatically process it and remove the background from the image.
- After processing, it will give you three images with white background, with black background, and third without a background.
- You can save any images that you like.
As mentioned earlier, if you are using the free version, the image will save with Watermark. But you can crop the watermark later from the gallery.
Remove Background from Images using Background Remover and Eraser
Here’s another good app that you can use to remove background from photos on your Android phone. Check out how to use the app.
- Open the Play Store and install the Background Remover and Eraser app on your phone.
- Launch the app on your phone and log in with your email, Facebook, or Google account.
- Now under images, tap the Add Image blue button.
- Load the image from your phone’s gallery and then tap Remove Background.
- It will process the image and show you the result. The processing can take some time.
- Once you find the result image, you can edit it further or tap the download icon to save the image.
So that’s how you can remove backgrounds from a photo on Android phones using apps.
How to Remove Photo Background through Websites
If you don’t want to use apps, you can use websites that offer background removal services. On such websites, all you need to do is upload the photo from which you want to remove the background. And let the website do its job. Once you see the result, you can download it on your phone.
There are some advantages as well as disadvantages to using websites for removing backgrounds from photos. Well, it depends on the website or app you are using. But some of the common advantages include easy background removal, no need to install apps, and more. Whereas common disadvantages include not having enough options to edit the photo after processing.
Some of the websites you need can use are:
How to Remove Background Objects from Photos on Android
What if you want to remove only some objects and not the whole background? Well, you can do that as well. Thanks to Object Eraser which allows removing objects from Images. This feature is available by default on some phones such as the latest Google Pixel and Samsung phones.
All you need to do is open the photo from your stock Gallery and choose the edit option. Here you will find either an object eraser or a Magic eraser. You will be able to outline objects once you choose the available option. The outlined object will be deleted from the photo.
In case your phone does not have the object or magic eraser option by default, you can use third-party apps and websites. There are plenty of such apps and websites so you will not have to go through the hustle of finding one.
So that’s all on how to remove photo background on Android phones. I hope you found the guide useful. And in case of any queries, just let us know in the comment section.