In this article, we are going to teach you how to resize or reduce photo size on iPhone or iPad.
The cameras of iPhone have evolved massively in the previous years, with each picture taken from an iPhone comes with the issue of storage shortage. Usually, the photos clicked on an iPhone consume anywhere between 2-8MB depending upon the pixels in the picture.
With the release of a new iPhone every year, the cameras are loaded with new features. The iPhone 11 was released in 2019 with camera features like slofies and ultra-wide pictures. iPhone 12 came packed with night mode portraits and a new sensor-shift stabilization and more. But all these features come at the price of the storage of your iPhone. We will teach you a few tricks to reduce the image size on your iPhone and iPad with three different methods.
Follow along the steps to learn how to reduce the image size on iPhone or iPad:
How to Reduce Photo Size on iPhone [with Third-Party app]
- Download the Image Size app from the App Store.
- Launch the app.
- Tap on the Image Icon on the top left and tap on Allow Access for the app to access your photo library.
- Select the photo you wish to reduce the size of and tap on Choose.
- Now the app automatically reduces the photo file size. You can see the difference (1.37 MB → 302.64 KB).
- Finally, tap Download to save the compressed photo in your Photo library.
- You can now delete the original large-sized photo.
- That’s it, it’s this easy.
How to Reduce Photo Size on iPhone [with Change Image Quality Shortcut]
Shortcuts is Apple’s built-in automation tool that helps you create your own shortcuts and simplify multi-step processes that you perform frequently.
Note: Make sure that you have allowed untrusted shortcuts. Go to Settings > Shortcuts > Toggle On Allow untrusted shortcuts
- Download Change Image Quality and Share Shortcut on your device. Tap on Get Shortcut → Tap Add Untrusted Shortcut on the pop-up dialog box.
- Launch the Shortcuts App
- Tap on the Change Image Quality and Share shortcut.
- Tap ‘Allow Access’ on the pop-up.
- Choose the image you wish to reduce the size of. Then, tap Done.
- Choose the size that you want.
- A share tab will appear, tap ‘Save Image’ and the image will create a newly resized image.
How to Reduce Photo Size on iPhone [with your own Shortcut]
In this method, we will create a shortcut that can take single or multiple photos, resize them based on your input, and save the resulting output back to the Photos app.
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone or iPad.
- In the My Shortcuts tab, tap the Plus (+) button in the top-right corner to create a new shortcut.
- Tap on Add Action.
- Search for the Resize Image action, and add it.
Now it’s time to customize the shortcut:
- Tap the Image button, available just after the Resize text in shortcut window.
- In the pop-up, choose the Shortcut Input option. This means that the shortcut will resize any image that you send to it (It’s useful for sending multiple images using the Share menu in the Photos app).
- Adjust the resulting width and height. By default, the shortcut will resize the image to 640 pixels wide with auto height.
- You can tap the 640 button to change the width, or you can switch to the Ask Each Time option. We recommend switching to the Ask Each Time option, it gives you the freedom to change the size without duplicating the picture.
- Leave the Auto Height option as default.
- Tap the Plus (+) button to add the next action.
- Search for the Save to Photo Album action and add it.
Note: This will automatically save the resized images to the Recent album. if you want to save it to another album, create a new album in the photos app.
If you want, you can tap on Recents to change the album.
The shortcut is now created. Tap the “Menu” button to customize it.
Here, give the shortcut a name at the top, and then be sure to enable the Show in Share Sheet option.
Tap on Done at the top to save the customization.
On the shortcut screen, tap on Done again to save the shortcut.
You’re all done in the Shortcuts app.
Next, launch the Photos app on your iPhone or iPad.
Select a photo (or the photos) that you want to resize and tap on the Share button.
Scroll down and select the Resize Image option.
Enter the image width of your choice in pixels and tap Done.
The shortcut will resize the image, and you’ll find it saved in the Recents album in the Photos app.
You’re done and you can now delete the original, large-sized pictures.
These simple steps allow you to reduce or resize Photo size on your iPhone or iPad. In case you’ve any query, then you can leave a comment in the comment section.
You May Also Like – How to Blur Background in Video Calls on iPhone
Also, share this article with your friends.
More Related Articles: