People use their Windows 11 systems for a number of things. Whether it’s for office work, playing games, streaming content, or for that matter editing or creating audio and video files for social media. While Windows 11 lets you screen record your gameplay footage or anything else that you do, the need for a sound or voice recorder is important. So, how would you plan to record your voice-over or commentary for your videos or podcasts on your windows 11 PC?
In today’s guide, we will be showing you how to use the Voice Recorder app – an app that comes built-in on Windows 11 PC. Now, some users might say, I can’t find any voice recorder or sound recording app on my Windows 11 PC, what are you talking about? Well, as we said earlier, we will not only show you how to use the app, but we will also show you how to get the app in case you don’t have it on your Windows 11 PC.
So, let’s dive right into the process.
How to Record Audio on Windows 11
We will be taking a look at the Windows Sound Recorder app that comes pre-installed with Windows 11. However, if you don’t find it in the Start menu, you can do the following.
- Launch the Microsoft Store on your Windows 11 PC.
- Make sure that you have signed into a Microsft account.
- Click on the search bar, then enter in Windows Sound Recorder and press the enter key.
- You should see the Windows Sound Recorder app right away, this one is the official app.
- Select it and click on the Get button to download and install it to your Windows 11 PC.
- The Sound recorder app will now be installed on your Windows 11 PC.
- That’s it.
Basic Sound Recorder App Functions
Now that you have downloaded the Sound Recorder app for your Windows 11 PC, it’s time to explore the function of the app as well as how you can use it to record your audio right away. When you launch the app, you will see two panes.
- On your left-hand side, you will be seeing all the audio recordings that you have recorded with the app.
- The right-hand side of the app will contain your audio wavelength.
- At the bottom of the app, you will find the controls to begin the recording as well as the total duration of the recording.
- Once you have done the recording, you can easily play it back by pressing the play button.
- Also, you have the option to change the playback speed. You can choose between quick, normal, and extremely slow.
- The Sound Recorder app also has options for you to add markers to the timeline. You can use these markers to maybe mark something important or you could use it to set as pointers for parts that you might want to delete while editing the audio clip.
- Towards the bottom left, you can choose between using your system’s in-built microphone or choosing the external microphone if you have one connected.
- You can also choose to play the audio files in the app by using the import button at the top left corner.
Voice Recorder – App Settings
The Voice Recorder for Windows has two important settings that you can adjust. The first is the audio format for the saved recording file. You can choose between the following audio formats
The Voice Recorder app also allows you to choose the type of audio quality you would like the recording to be saved with. These are the types of audio quality options you can choose from.
- Best – Highest quality with the largest file size
- High – Recommended quality
- Medium- Small file size
Also, you can choose to use the app between the light and dark modes. Or you can go along the system setting. and it will automatically change based on what mode the system is set to. Since this is a free-to-use app, especially one that comes pre-installed with Windows 11, you should definitely give it a try as it’s free and has no in-app ads or purchases whatsoever. This is the best way to record audio in Windows 11.
Alternatives to Built-in Sound Recorder on Windows 11
Apart from just using the Sound Recorder app that comes with Windows 11 itself, you can also try out other free and paid audio recording software to record audio in Windows 11. Here are some good alternatives.
- Audacity (Free)
- Adobe Audition (Paid)
- Sony Sound Forge (Paid)
- Wavepad (Free)
- Cleanfeed (Paid)
This concludes the guide on how you can record audio on your Windows 11 PC. the voice recording app is indeed a pretty good app when it comes to the basic audio recording. Sure, you won’t be able to do much audio editing on it, but, it perfectly does its main job. Of course, you can also make use of other audio recording programs that are either free or paid. The choice is yours.
- How to Disable Tabs in File Explorer on Windows 11
- How to Enable or Disable Suggested Actions in Windows 11
- 33 Essential Windows 11 Tips and Tricks to Master Windows OS
- How to get Google Play Games Beta on your Windows PC