Discord is a popular platform that is being used by gamers to communicate with other gamers and friends. Using Discord, you’ll be able to send text, voice messages, and even talk over audio and video calls in different servers or your custom servers. Discord has a nice feature called overlays that can be used while you are playing a game. Let’s take a look at what a Discord overlay is and how to move Discord Overlay on your desktop.
Why would you make use of an overlay on Discord? Well, if you are in a public or custom server with voice chats enabled, it becomes easier for you to know and see who you might be talking to/with. The overlay also shows you your active chats, incoming and ongoing calls, and other notifications. All of this info is displayed in an organized manner without obstructing your gameplay session. Now that the Discord overlay is a great feature, let’s take a look at how to enable and move the overlay around on your PC.
How to Enable Discord Overlay
Before we begin to talk about enabling and adjusting the overlay for Discord, you should have the updated version of Discord. If not, you can always download the latest version on your PC from their official website. The Discord app is free to download for Windows PC.
Enabling Discord Overlay
Now that you have Discord up and running, it is time to enable the Discord overlay. Follow these steps to enable the Discord Overlay.
- Open the Discord app and then click on User Settings. It is a gear icon that will be displayed at the bottom left next to your Discord ID.
- Now, scroll down the left panel till you see the Activity Settings header. You will see the Game Overlay option, open it.
- Switch the toggle for ‘Enable in-game overlay’ to On to enable discord overlay.
How to Move Discord Overlay
Adjusting Discord Overlay
Now that you have the Discord overlay enabled, it is now time to adjust some settings and the position of the overlays. There will a few settings that you will have to adjust in order to make things be perfect for you.
- Next to the toggle, you will find the option to manually enable the Discord Overlay. For this, you can add your own keyboard combination shortcut. This can be easily edited with no difficulty.
- Now you can also change the size of the avatar. The avatar shows up when you or someone is speaking on the voice channel. You can choose between large or small.
- Next, you have the option to display the person’s names. You can choose from Always, While Speaking or Never.
- The other option you have is whether you want to display the active users or not.
- Next, you will be able to choose the corner where you would like to have the Discord overlay. You can choose from the right or left corners of your screen.
- If you don’t want anything, simply select the middle option. It will disable the overlay screen altogether.
- And finally, you will have the option to show Text Chat notifications. You can choose to enable or disable the option.
Now that you have enabled and adjusted the Discord Overlay feature you will have to let it automatically display when you have Discord running in the background while you are playing a particular game.
Adding Game Activity
- In the User Settings panel on the left, scroll and select the Activity Status option.
- Next, you will want to switch the toggle to On that displays the Activity Status message.
- Now, you need to add the games to Discord. It should automatically detect the games installed on your PC.
- If the games are not detected, you can click on the Add It! Button to add games to Discord.
- In this way, the Discord Overlay will then display itself when that game is running with Discord in the background.
Now that you know how to enable and move Discord Overlay, things should be perfect for you. However, you will need to note that not all games will be detected by Discord and open up the Discord Overlay so that shouldn’t be a problem at all as you can add games manually.
Also, when you have the discord Overlay running, you can choose to pin a chat screen from a server by simply clicking on the chat and selecting the pin icon. In that way, you will be humble to see the chat and interact with it during your game. The overlay from Discord is much useful when you only have a single screen system. For those with dual screens, the Discord overlay is just not needed.