GIFs are short videos with infinite loop and no sound. Today, we will show you how to make a GIF on iPhone or iPad with three easy ways.
Sharing GIFs are always fun and they are not going away anytime soon. GIFs are used everywhere on a daily basis, from Snapchat and Instagram stories to WhatsApp messages, which makes the conversation even more fun.
Most GIFs are available on the internet and you can purchase different GIF keyboards from the Android and Apple App Stores. These keyboards help you search for GIFs directly and send them to someone without having to download them. But what if you want to create your personal GIFs that are not available on the internet, and share them with your friends and family? Well, if that’s the case, then you’re in the right place. Now let’s dive right in to the process of creating GIFs on iPhone or iPad.
How to create a GIF on iPhone or iPad
We are going to show you two methods to help you create your own GIFs on an iPhone or iPad.
1. Create GIF using Shortcut app on iPhone
You can create GIFs natively using the Make GIF shortcut in the Shortcuts App. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Shortcuts App on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the + icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap on Add Action.
- Search for GIF.
- Tap on Make GIF.
- On the “Make GIF from Content“, Tap on Content and select Clipboard from the pop-up box.
- Tap on the + icon.
- Search for Save.
- Tap on Save to Photo Album.
- Tap on the Three Dots icon on the top-right.
- Give the shortcut a name. For this tutorial, we will name it as “Convert Video to GIF“.
- Enable Show in Share Sheet.
- Tap on Done.
Now, to see if it works:
- Launch the Photos app.
- Play any video.
- Tap on the Share Icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Search for “Convert Video to GIF” in the Share Sheet.
- Tap on Convert Video to GIF.
You will now find the GIF saved in your Recents album in the Photos App. This way, you can convert any video to GIF using the same shortcut. If you do not want to create the shortcut by yourself, you can download it here.
2. Turn Live Photos into GIFs
If you do not want to create a shortcut and want another native method to create GIFs, then you also have the option to turn live photos into GIFs. This is native method for creating GIFs natively on the iPhone.
Live Photos capture a couple seconds of animation on before and after you take a picture. Long Press or 3D Touch on these photos, and you can see it come to life. To capture Live Photos:
- Launch the Camera App.
- Press the Circle Icon on the top-right corner of your screen.
You can turn these Live Photos into GIFs using the native Photos app that comes by default on your iPhone.
To create a GIF out of a Live Photo:
- Launch the Photos App.
- Scroll Down till you see the Live Photos section.
- Tap on Live Photos.
- Select the Live photo that you want to convert into GIF.
- Once selected, Drag the Live Photo upwards.
- You will now see a list of effects:
- Long Exposure;
- Select either Loop or Bounce effect.
- Now, share the picture with anyone. It will be shared as a GIF.
That’s all you need to do if you want to convert a Live Photo into a GIF.
3. How to Make a GIF on iPhone or iPad using the GIPHY app
If you have an older iPhone with an older iOS version, the shortcuts app may not be present. But you do need to worry, you can also make GIFs from videos on such iPhone models, but for this, third-party apps are necessary. There are many GIF making apps available for iPhone out there.
You can download the GIPHY app here.
GIPHY is one of the most popular apps when it comes to creating or sharing GIFs. So, if you are looking for third-party apps, you may as well give GIPHY a try. Apart from GIPHY, there are plenty of other GIF maker apps for iPhone available on the App Store.
To create a GIF using the GIPHY app, follow these steps:
- Download the GIPHY app from the App Store.
- Once downloaded, launch the GIPHY app.
- Tap on the Create icon in the top-right.
- You will now see two options:
- Shoot a GIF from your Camera.
- Convert a video from your Camera Roll into GIF.
- Choose the one you want.
- You will now see multiple options in the bottom to customize the GIF:
- Write a Caption.
- Add Filter.
- Insert Pre-Built Art.
- Insert Word Art Phrases.
- Trim your GIF.
- and much more.
- Customize the GIF as you like.
- Tap on the Purple Arrow to upload it to GIPHY.
- Tap on Upload to GIPHY.
Note: You will need to create a GIPHY account to upload and save your GIF.
Once the GIF is uploaded, tap on the three vertical dots. Tap on Save to Camera Roll to save the GIF on your device.
You can now share the GIF with anyone you like. GIFs created with GIPHY will also keep working even when you post them online or transfer them to another device. That’s it for this tutorial. We hope this article helps you create and customize your own GIFs.
You May Also Like – How to cast Apple TV to Chromecast
Feel free to drop a comment in the comment section below if you face any issues. Also, share this article with your friends and family.
More Related Articles: