Discord, as we all know is one of the most favored platforms of communication amongst students and gamers alike. Why? Well, the answer lies in the platform itself. Discord lets you create servers, host audio, and video calls, and even lets you screen share your screen with friends. The platform is popular among gamers because it doesn’t have all the unwanted nonsense plus the fact that there are tons of gaming communities on Discord itself. While you can create your servers, do you know that you could lock your channel as well? Read on to know how to lock a discord channel.
So, what is a channel in Discord you might ask? Channels can be defined as spaces where you can use to divide between text and voice interactions. In a text-only channel, members who are part of the server can simply join in sending texts. Whereas in a voice channel, one can simply join in and start speaking with other members who are in the same voice channel. You can create more channels on your server and it can be of any topic of your choice. Let’s take a look at how to lock a channel in Discord on PC, Android, or iPhone.
Before we begin to go about the process of how to lock a channel on Discord, you need to create your server on Discord. Of course, if you are the admin or moderator of a server, you could also lock a channel.
How to Lock a Channel in Discord on PC
- Open up Discord and let it install any updates if found.
- Now, go ahead and select your server or the server that you moderate or admin.
- With your server open, look towards the left pane of Discord.
- You will see two or more channel categories.
- Select the sub-channel that you wish to lock.
- Next to the sub-channels name, you will see a gear icon that says Edit Channel. Click on it.
- Now select the Permissions option in the left pane of the Edit Channel screen.
- On the right side of the screen, you will see Additional Permissions. Click on it.
- You will now see a huge list of settings that can be adjusted.
- When you scroll down, you will see the Voice Channel Permissions header.
- Under that, the Connect option will be shown.
- Next to it, you will see a red X mark and a green tick mark.
- To lock the channel, click on the red X mark.
- At the bottom of the screen, it will warn you about you have unsaved changes. Click on the green Save Changes button.
- Now, when you go back to your server screen, you will see a small lock icon next to the speaker for the particular channel.
- This indicates that the channel has been locked.
- For other members, they will be able to see the channel with just a lock and no speaker. This means that they won’t be able to join the channel at all.
How to Lock a Channel in Discord on Android and iOS
If you use Discord on an Android or iOS device and have a server of your own or you admin or moderate a few servers and want to lock a particular channel, it can be done from your mobile phone as well.
- Make sure to be running the latest and updated version of Discord.
- Open up Discord and select your server or the server that you moderate.
- With the server’s side menu open, tap on the voice channel that you wish to lock.
- The Channel Settings page will now open up.
- Tap on Permissions. It will be the last option on the screen.
- Now, under Roles, select Everyone.
- Scroll through and look for the Voice Channel Permissions header.
- Under that, you will find the Connect option. Tap on the red X mark to lock the channel.
- Go back to your server. You will see a small lock on your channel. This indicates that the channel has now been locked by the moderator.
So this is a simple and easy way to lock a particular channel on your Discord server. Why would you want to lock it? It could be that you prefer to have a voice chat only with a few people from the server, or maybe just the moderators wanting to have a private server chat. So, now that you know how to lock a channel on Discord, has it become something useful for your server or maybe your server didn’t need to have such locked channels. Do let us know about it in the comments.
More Related Content: