Are you looking for a reliable and working guide to install TWRP Recovery on Pixel 3a phones? If yes then you are at right place. Here you will learn how to download & install TWRP Recovery on Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL (official).
Official TWRP recovery takes many months to be available after the launch of a specific phone. But in the case of Pixel phones, the TWRP recovery usually made available in one or two months. But it took more time to be available for Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL. In May 2019 Google released Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL at a budget price. And due to its effective cost price, the phone responds well in the market.
The development for Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL started about a month ago. We have already shared the guide to root Pixel 3a. But the official TWRP for Pixel 3a was not available at that time. And finally, the official TWRP Recovery for Pixel 3a & 3a XL is now available. TWRP is a custom recovery which is used for many purposes such as flashing Custom ROMs, Themes, Magisk, Android updates and more. Overall the TWRP recovery is better than the Stock recovery which comes by default on all the phones. Below you will find the download link of TWRP for Pixel 3a with its installation guide.
Download TWRP Recovery for Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL
The TWRP Recovery for Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL is officially listed on the TWRP website. Which means now you don’t have to use unofficial TWRP. The official TWRP recovery is stable and works great without any bug. Use the below download links to get TWRP Recovery for your phone.
Note: Make sure to download both image file and zip file. If zip file for Pixel 3a is not available then you can download the zip file of Pixel 3a XL.
After downloading TWRP image and zip file follow the below guide to install it on your Pixel 3a phones. The installation process is the same for Pixel 3a as well as Pixel 3a XL.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Pixel 3a & Pixel 3a XL
- The method needs a Kernel with LZMA compression to install TWRP Recovery (You can use ElementalX Kernel)
- Bootloader should be unlocked (Guide here)
- This method will not work on Pixel running on Android Q
- Install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on PC
- Download TWRP Image and Zip file from the above download link
Steps to Install TWRP on Pixel 3a
- First make sure that a Kernel is installed on your Pixel 3a which supports LZMA compression.
- Copy both the TWRP image and zip file to one folder for convenience.
- Boot Pixel 3a/3a XL to Fastboot Mode (Follow this guide).
- Connect your phone to PC using a USB cable.
- Open command window (CMD) on PC.
- Now you need to temporary boot into TWRP Recovery. To do that use the below command. But make sure to drag the TWRP image and drop to CMD window after fastboot boot
fastboot boot location/twrp.img
- Remember in above command after fastboot boot you don’t need to write location/twrp.img (it’s just for understanding). Just drag and drop the twrp.image (twrp-3.3.1-1-sargo.img) after fastboot boot.
- After entering the above command the phone will boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Copy the TWRP.zip (twrp-installer–3.3.1-1-sargo.zip) file to phone storage.
- In TWRP click on Install and locate the twrp.zip and flash it.
- Now TWRP Recovery is installed on both boot slots. Also if your device was rooted, it will be gone on installing TWRP Recovery. But you can flash Magisk to again Root your phone.
That’s it now you can reboot into the system. And whenever you want to boot into TWRP Recovery first power off your phone and then long-press Volume Down + Power button together and then navigate to Recovery using Volume buttons. And then press the power button to select Recovery mode and it will boot the phone into TWRP Recovery.
With the TWRP Recovery, you can install Custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, Custom Kernels or any other zip file that you want to Install. So this is it in the TWRP Recovery for Pixel 3a guide.