OnePlus 7 is one of the latest flagship devices from OnePlus. And if you have the OnePlus phone then you will be happy after knowing that official TWRP recovery for OnePlus 7 is now available. Here you will know how to install TWRP on OnePlus 7. It is a step by step guide, so make sure to follow the steps exactly as mentioned.
The development for OnePlus 7 has started a few weeks ago while the OnePlus 7 is behind in terms of development. But now the development for OnePlus 7 started and the TWRP is already available. So you can expect custom ROMs availability in first two weeks of June. If you are looking for a guide to root OnePlus 7 then we already posted it, make sure to check it out. Although you can also use this method to root your OnePlus 7, just at the end install Magisk through TWRP Recovery.
Why do you need to install TWRP Recovery instead of using stock recovery? Well, the answer is so easy and clear. TWRP Recovery is a custom Recovery which has a lot of advanced options that are not available in Stock Recovery. Stock recovery only supports installing OTA updates but with the help of TWRP recovery, we can install any zip file made for our device including custom ROMs and custom Kernels. If by any chance your device stuck into bootloop then you can use the TWRP recovery to fix it whereas you won’t be able to do so with Stock recovery. So let’s begin the step by step guide to install TWRP on OnePlus 7.
How to Install TWRP on OnePlus 7
OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro both has A/B partition which means installing TWRP recovery is not easy like phones with a single partition. So make sure to follow the exact same procedure to avoid any error. First, follow and complete the prerequisites and then move to steps.
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked on your OnePlus 7 (follow this guide)
- Take a full backup of phone’s data [to restore if something goes wrong]
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on PC
- TWRP 3.3.1 for OnePlus 7
- TWRP 3.3.1 installer
- Platform tools
- Magisk Zip (if you want to root your phone)
Steps to Install TWRP 3.3.1 on OnePlus 7
- Keep the TWRP image file and Platform tools on PC. And copy TWRP installer and Magisk zip to the phone storage.
- Extract Platform tools on your PC, then copy the TWRP image file to the extracted platform tools folder.
- Rename the TWRP image to the twrp.img (in this case twrp-3.3.1-2-guacamoleb.img to twrp.img).
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Go to About Phone and tap 7 times on Build Number to enable developer options.
- Go back to Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- In developer options look for Advanced Reboot and enable it.
- Long press Power button and select Bootloader to boot into fastboot mode.
- Once the device booted in fastboot mode connect the phone to PC using a USB cable.
- In Platform tools folder, press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select “Open PowerShell window here” or “Open Command window here”.
- Enter the below command to boot into TWRP recovery temporarily
fastboot boot twrp.img
- The phone will boot into TWRP Recovery.
- In TWRP recovery go to Advanced > Install Recovery Ramdisk.
- Locate the TWRP installer (twrp-3.3.1-2-guacamoleb-installer.zip) and flash it.
- Now TWRP is now successfully installed on your OnePlus 7. Follow further steps if you want to root otherwise just reboot into the system.
- To root the phone first go to Install and then locate Magisk zip file and flash it.
- That’s it, now your phone is rooted. You can now reboot into the system.
So there you have it the detailed guide on how to install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 7. Now you can modify your device easily by flashing zip files like custom ROMs, custom Kernels, Themes, Boot Animation, Magisk Installer/Uninstaller, and more.
You May Also Like | Download Google Camera 6.1 for OnePlus 7 & 7 Pro
If you face any error while installing TWRP recovery then make sure to comment below with the error info. We will reply with the solution to fix the error. So with this, I will end this guide, Enjoy.
Related to OnePlus:
- How to Root OnePlus 7 Pro with Magisk Patched Boot Image
- How to Install OnePlus 7 & 7 Pro Android Q Update [Oxygen OS Beta]
- How to Install OnePlus 3 & 3T Android Pie 9.0 Update (Oxygen OS Stable)