Smart TVs have made life so much easier since you can access all your streaming content on the big screen. Of course, you can use the TV for many things such as an external display for your PC or even as a projection screen. While most smart TVs out there run-on Android OS, Samsung on the other hand uses its in-house OS called Tizen OS. So, the big question here is, can you install third-party apps on a Samsung Smart TV running Tizen OS? Let’s find out.
So, why would you want to install third-party apps in the first place? There are many reasons. It could be that the app you are looking for isn’t available in your region or even on the particular app store for that matter. Sometimes, the developer might even let you download the app from their website and ask you to sideload it to your device or TV. Now, all of these things can be done by a majority of Android-powered Smart TVs. So, if you have a Samsung Smart TV, let’s take a look if it is possible to third party apps on it.
Install Third-Party Apps on Samsung Smart TV
In all fairness. The short answer is no. Samsung Smart TVs come with TizenOS. This means that sideloading third-party apps on their range of Smart TVs is not possible by any means. Yes, it does sound a bit odd and even annoying for that matter as you might have paid a lot for your feature-rich and best-in-class display smart TV from Samsung.
Mirror Apps from Android Device to Samsung Smart TV
Since the only way you can view content from third-party apps on your Samsung Smart TV is by mirroring, here is how you can do it.
- Make sure your Android device and Samsung Smart TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Next, take your Android Device and search for the Screen share, smart view, screen mirroring option in the Settings app.
- When you find it, select it. The phone will now search for wireless displays that are connected to the same WiFi network.
- When you see your Samsung Smart TV, select it.
- You can now cast and mirror from your Android to the Smart TV.
Mirror Apps from iOS Device to Samsung Smart TV
If you have a Samsung Smart TV from 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021, chances are that the TV will be having AirPlay 2 enabled on it. This lets iOS devices screen and mirrors themselves to the Samsung Smart TV.
- You will have to get your iOS device and Samsung Smart TV connected to the same WiFi network.
- On your Smart TV, open the Settings page.
- Now, scroll over to General and select it.
- You will now see the Apple AirPlay Settings option. Select it.
- On your iOS device, swipe up to bring the Control Center.
- You will see the Screen Mirroring tile. Tap on it.
- The iOS device will begin to look for wireless displays connected to the network.
- When you find your TV, select it and enter the code on your device. The code will be displayed on your TV itself.
Connect Amazon FireStick / RokuStick / Google Chromecast
Now if you wish to watch more content and get more access to other apps on your Smart TV, you will have to get yourself a streaming stick. These devices connect right away to your TVs HDMI input port. With such devices, you will be able to make your Samsung smart TV even smarter. Plus, you will get access to a ton of apps from these services, some free and some paid.
So, there you have it. The alternate ways you can view third-party apps content on your Samsung smarty TV. You will be able to sideload third-party apps on your Samsung Smart TV only if Samsung ditches TizenOS for Google’s Android TV OS. So, until then you can’t install third-party apps on a Samsung Smart TV.
You May Also Like – How to Delete Apps on Samsung Smart TV
If you’ve any query on this topic, then you can leave a comment in the comment box. Also, share this article with your friends.
More Related Articles: