One of the most popular web browsers out there is Google Chrome. People love this web browser simply because it works well on almost every device. The functionality is superb when using Google Services. While we can easily install it on smartphones, PCs, and even on your smart TVs, did you know that you can also install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck? Yes, you can continue to use your favorite web browser on your gaming handheld device!
Installing Google Chrome on the Steam Deck isn’t as complicated as you might think it is. In fact, there are two different methods that you can follow if you plan to install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck.
Let’s get started.
Now, the Steam Deck runs on SteamOS which is a customized version of Linux. So simply trying to download and install Google Chrome from the website by downloading the exe file will simply not work. So, if you are new to the OS and as well as Linux, you’ve come to the right place that shows you how you can install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck.
How to Install Google Chrome on Steam Deck via the Steam Library
The Steam Library is your place on the Steam Deck that shows you all the apps and games that have been installed and added to your Steam Client. This makes it easy for you, the user, to simply navigate and launch games that you have installed on the Steam Deck itself. Using the Steam Library, you can easily install Google Chrome. Here are the steps.
- Power up the Steam Deck and press the Steam button on your Steam Deck.
- Now, select the Library option.
- Press the R1 button on your Steam Deck to switch to the Non-Steam tab.
- Provided that you are going to install a non-Steam app for the first time, a pop-up will appear on your screen.
- This pop-up will be displaying an offer that allows you to install Google Chrome.
- Simply highlight and select the Add Chrome option on your screen.
- Google Chrome will now begin to get installed on your Steam Deck.
And this is how you can install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck via the Steam Library’s Non-Steam apps section. This is a simple and easy method. If you want to look for another way to install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck, you can try the next method that we have mentioned below.
How to Install Google Chrome on Steam Deck via Desktop Mode
If you aren’t comfortable with installing Google Chrome via the Steam Library, you can always switch over to Desktop Mode on the Steam Deck. Desktop Mode on the Steam Deck gives you the traditional PC-like interface that you have always known and been using for years. You can use this method to install Google Chrome if for some reason you skipped over installing the browser during the tutorials when using the Steam library.
- First, press the Steam button on your Steam Deck.
- You need to select the Power option followed by Switch To Desktop. The Steam Deck will have to be rebooted.
- With the device rebooted into Desktop Mode, select the Discover option that has a shopping bag icon.
- On the search bar, type in Chrome. Once you see Google Chrome from the results, select it and choose the Install button.
- With the browser installed on your Steam Deck, select the plus icon and choose Add a Non-Steam Game.
- Now, select Google Chrome from the list and finally choose Add Selected Program.
- You will now see Google Chrome in the Steam Library. However, you can choose to use Google Chrome in either Desktop Mode or Steam Library mode. The choice is yours.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck. While we have given you two methods to choose from, the first method is not only simple but ideally a quicker way to get the web browser on your Steam Deck. Google Chrome on the Steam Deck will function just as how the web browser functions normally on your PC, macOS, or smartphone.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.