All smart TVs have one thing in common. They all need apps that let you stream your favorite TV shows, movies, and live TV. Having a good app store and a large number of supported apps play an important role. Also apart from using the app store to install apps, users should be able to sideload or install third-party apps to their TVs. Today, we will be taking a look at how you can install apps on any Sony TV that has the capabilities of installing apps. Let’s get started.
Sony has three types of smart TVs available – Google TV, Android TV, and older Smart TVs. These days Sony TVs come with Google TV onboard. Older models released between 2018 and 2021 come with Google’s Android TV. TVs released before 2018 come with its in-house operating systems or some with older versions of Android like Marshmallow 6.0.1.
No matter which TV you own you can easily install apps on it by following the below methods. We will be covering all methods that you can follow to install an app from the TV’s app store as well as different methods that you can follow to sideload apps onto your Sony TV.
Note that the sideloading process will work only for Google TV and Android TVs only.
Let’s dive right into the methods.
How to Install Apps on Sony TV [running on Android TV]
These steps are for the Sony Android TVs that have been released between 2018 and 2021. Since this is an Android TV, you can easily make use of the Google Play Store app that comes pre-install on all Android TVs.
- Switch your Sony TV on and connect it to the internet.
- Grab the remote and press the Home button on it.
- Navigate and search for the Google Play app icon on the home screen or select the Get More apps option.
- The Google Play Store will now be launched.
- Make sure that you are signed into the Play Store with your Google account.
- Now, simply navigate to the search bar to search for the app.
- You can also click on the Microphone icon and say the name of the app. If the app is available, you will be able to see it in the search results.
- Click on it and then select the Install button.
- The app will now begin downloading and get installed on your Sony Android TV.
How to Install Apps on Sony TV [running on Google TV]
Here are the steps for the newer Sony TVs that come with Google TV. Some older Sony TVs can also be updated from Android TV to Google TV. Check if your particular TV is compatible with the Google TV update or not.
- Power your Sony Google TV and confirm that it is connected to the internet.
- Using the TV remote, navigate to the Apps tab to browse through various apps that are suggested to you to download.
- Select the app which you want to install or search the app by name.
- Or, you can click on the Google Assistant icon and use Voice Search to search for the app.
- When the app is found, you can select it and install it on your TV right away.
How to Install Apps on Sony TV [Older Models]
These steps are only for Sony TVs that do not come with Google TV and Android TV. Also, not all old TVs from Sony can install apps. So make sure that your particular Sony TV can install apps.
- Power up your Sony TV and ensure that it is connected to the internet.
- Grab the TV remote that came with your Sony TV.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Now, select the All Apps option.
- You should now be able to see all the apps that are available for your Sony TV.
- Simply select the app that you want and install it right away.
How to Install Apps on Sony TV [using your Android Phone]
If you have an Android device, there is the advantage of installing apps to your TV directly without the need to use the PlayStore on your TV. This method will work only if
- Your Sony TV should be either an Android TV or a Google TV.
- You have the same Google account signed into on your Android device and your GOole or Android Sony TV.
Here are the steps to install apps remotely onto your Android or Google Sony TV.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Now, search for the app that you want to install.
- At the top left corner of the screen, you will be able to choose the device that you want to install the app on.
- Tap on it and choose your Android or Google Sony TV.
- The app will automatically install on your Android or Google TV when it connects to the internet.
- You can also log into Google Play Store on your PC, sign into it with the same Google account on your TV and install apps right away
How to Sideload Apps on Sony TV [Android and Google TV]
Looking at the Play Store on your TV, you can see that there aren’t many options when it comes to TV apps. What‘s worse is that even though there might be apps available for TVs, they might not be available in your region. The best way to overcome all these problems is by sideloading Android Apps. There are two different methods that you can follow to sideload Android apps on your Google TV and Android TV.
Install APK Files via USB
This is the first and easiest method that you and anyone can follow to sideload apps to their Sony Google or Android TV. However, you will have to make sure that Installing Apps From Unknown Sources has been enabled. You can find that option in Settings, followed by Security and Restrictions. This helps to easily and quickly install apps that you will be sideloading.
- On your PC, open your favorite web browser and head over to APKMirror.com.
- Now, search for the app that you want to install.
- Once you find the desired app, download it to your PC.
- Now plug in a USB drive and copy the APK file to your USB drive.
- Head over to your Sony TV and plug the USB Drive in.
- If your TV doesn’t have a File Manager, you will have to download ES File Manager on your TV.
- With the file manager installed, navigate to the USB drive and install the APK file that you downloaded.
- You can now install the app and use it on your TV right away without any problem.
Sideload Android Apps Using ADB Commands
You can also make use of ADB Commands to install and sideload Android apps on your Android and Google TV with ease. This can be done wirelessly. All you need to have is your PC and your TV connected to the same wifi network.
- First, get the ADB Tools on your PC. Download these tools from this link.
- Now, you need to enable Developer Options on your Sony Google or Android TV.
- Open the Settings menu on your TV.
- Then select the About option.
- Now, highlight the Build Number option and click the OK button on your remote 7 times.
- Go back and search for the Developer Options menu.
- Make sure to switch Developer Options on scroll to the USB Debugging section.
- Enable the USB Debugging toggle.
- Go back to your PC and download the APK file that you want to sideload to your TV.
- Now, open the Command Prompt window on your PC from the folder that has the ADB Tools.
- Get the IP Address of your TV by heading into the Network option of the Settings menu on your TV.
- Note the IP address. Now, in Command Prompt, type in Connect followed by your TV’s IP Address.
- Your TV and PC need to be connected to the same wifi network.
- Accept the message dialog box on your TV that says always allow this computer to connect to the TV.
- Now in Command Prompt, simply type in install followed by the apk file anime.apk
- Hit the enter key.
- The app will now be installed on your TV and you can access it from your TV’s main home screen.
This concludes the guide on how you can install and sideload apps on your Sony Smart Google and Android TV easily. You can also install apps on older Sony TVs provided they have an App Store installed on the TV itself.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.