With so many streaming services available, it can be difficult to pick which ones are the best. However, a lot of people prefer to stick to one particular streaming service only. It could be that the pricing is perfect or it could also be that the content available on the streaming service is exactly what they wanted. Apple TV is one such service that lots of users particularly, iPhone users, have subscribed to. In today’s guide, we talk about how you can install the Apple TV app on your Sony smart TV.
While Sony has a large number of TV models including the ones that run on their in-house operating system or older ones, it needs to be noted that the Apple TV app is only available on the Android TV and Google TV models from Sony. So, if you’re someone looking to install the Apple TV app on their Sony TV, this is the guide for you.
Before we dig into the steps on how you can install and stream the Apple TV app on your Sony TV, there are a few things that you need to know. First, you need to know what TVs support the app and secondly, you need to know what TVs are eligible to get the Apple TV app after a software update.
Sony TVs that support Apple TV app
Here is a list of all the Sony Smart TVs that support the Apple TV app right out of the box. Most of the TVs in the support list are Google TV models from the Sony TV lineup.
2021 Sony TV Apple TV Supported Models
- X91J (85)
2022 Sony TV Apple TV Supported Models
Sony TVs that need to be updated to support the Apple TV app
On the Android TV side of things, a lot of TVs will have to be updated in order to support Apple TV app installation. Sony’s range of TVs released between 2018 and 2020 need to be updated. Here is a list of all the TVs that support the Apple Tv app after updating the firmware.
2018 Sony TVs
2019 Sony TVs
2020 Sony TVs
Now that you know what Sony TVs support the Apple TV app, it’s time now to look at the steps that you need to follow to install the app on your Sony smart TV. The steps apply to both the Google TV and Android TV versions of Sony Smart TVs.
How to Install Apple TV app on Sony TV [running Google TV]
For Sony TVs that come with Google Tv, you can easily use the search function or even the voice function to install the Apple TV app. If you are using the voice method, simply press the Google Assistant button on your TV remote and simply say Apple TV. The TV will display the app and all you need to do is select the install button.
Alternatively, you can also make use of the search function on your Sony Google TV to install the Apple TV app. Here’s how.
- Press the Home button on your Sony TV remote.
- Now, navigate and select the Search option.
- Select the input section to bring up the on-screen keyboard.
- Use the keyboard to type in Apple TV and select the enter key.
- The Apple TV app should now be displayed on the search results.
- Select the app and install it on your TV right away.
How to Install Apple TV app on Sony TV [running Android TV]
Now, if you own a Sony Android TV, these are the steps you need to follow if you want to install the Apple TV app.
- Power up your Android TV and have it connect to your WiFi network.
- Navigate and select the Google Play Store app on the home screen of your Android TV.
- Once the Play Store opens up, navigate and select the search bar in the Play Store app.
- Select it to bring the keyboard up.
- Now, type in Apple TV and select the search icon.
- You should see the Apple TV app in the search results.
- Select the app and choose the install button.
- Within a few seconds, the app will begin downloading and should be installed on your TV.
- Launch the Apple TV app and sign in with your Apple ID.
How to Install Apple TV app on Sony Smart TV via Smartphone
If you have an Android mobile phone, you can easily use the Google Play Store app to install the Apple TV app on your Sony Smart TV. For this, your TV and your phone need to sign in with the same Google account. Once you have done that follow these steps.
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap on the search bar and type in Apple TV.
- Now when you search for the app, it should be displayed in the search results.
- You should automatically see the Available on More Devices option when you tap on the Apple TV app.
- Simply tap on the green button that says Install next to the name of your Sony smart TV.
- This is how you can install the Apple TV on your Sony TV by just using your mobile phone.
- When the TV is connected to the internet, the app will automatically be installed and you should see the app on the home screen right away.
This concludes the guide on how you can install and watch Apple TV on your supported Sony Smart TV. Apple TV is a monthly subscription service that lets you access numerous movies, TV shows, and even Apple TV Exclusive shows.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.