The remote is one of the important components of any device out there. When it comes to smart TVs, it’s a very essential unit. A fully functioning remote is what everyone wants. However, there can be issues with remotes at times simply because these are very delicate little devices. When it comes to the Roku range of TVs, a lot of users have reported that certain functions of the remote don’t work perfectly well.
One of the biggest issues Roku users have with their remote is that the volume buttons simply don’t function and neither does the Roku TV respond to the volume buttons when they are pressed. Since there is a large number of people who are reporting this issue, it only makes sense to provide solutions for such an issue.
In this guide, we will be taking a look at the numerous troubleshooting methods you can follow to solve the Roku remote volume buttons not working issue.
How to fix Volume Buttons Not Working on Roku Remote
There are a good number of troubleshooting methods that you can follow to solve the issue of the volume buttons not working on your Roku remote. You can try and follow these methods one by one to see which one works best for you.
Is the Remote Damaged?
The first and most important step is to check for damages. Damaged remotes have a tendency to stop functioning altogether, Whether you want to change the volume or perform any other function, the remote will fail to work, Also shake the remote gently and listen for any loose pieces in the remote. If there are broken pieces inside, you might want to get yourself a new Roku remote replacement.
Are the Batteries weak?
A lot of these remotes work on batteries. When the batteries are weak, the remote will not function properly. There can be hoots and misses when pressing any button on your remote. If the batteries haven’t been replaced or changed for a long time, it might be time to get yourself a set of brand-new battery. Insert the new batteries and press the volume buttons. If the functions work then you simply had to change the batteries and your remote s good as new.
Clean the Remote sensors
If you use a Roku remote that works on Infrared to control your Tv, you might want to clean the top part of the remote. Along with the remote, you might want to clean up the front part of your TV, especially where the sensors for the remote are present. A clean and soft cloth should be good enough to clean the front part of the TV as well as your remote.
Check for Jammed Buttons
Because the remote is the most used object in the house, there can be a good amount of dust, dirt, and grime on the remote. This dirt can be seen on the most used buttons, especially on the volume buttons. If there is some dirt surrounding the buttons and you see the buttons pressed in, it is time to clean the remote. For this, you can make use of a toothpick and remove the dirt surrounding the buttons.
Once the dirt is all removed, feel the buttons and see if they are normal to press. If they aren’t, you might have to use the toothpick to lift the buttons up. Also, check for other buttons on the remote. If you see buttons stuck, you can lift them up.
TV Left On Mute?
The Roku remote has a dedicated mute audio button. This is a quick button that lets you mute the audio with a single press. When the mute feature is activated, there is a possibility that the volume buttons will not function. So press the Mute button to unmute the audio. Your volume buttons should now work just fine.
UnPair and Re-Pair Roku Remote To TV
A few glitches with the TV can cause the volume buttons on the Roku remote to not reciprocate to your TV. In this case, the ideal solution is to unpair the remote and pair it again to your Roku TV. You can follow these steps to re-pair the Roku remote with your TV.
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Navigate to Settings and select Remotes and Devices
- Under the Remotes menu, select the option that reads Setup a new device.
- Choose the Remote option and select Continue.
- The pairing screen will appear on your TV.
- During this time, you need to open the battery cover of your Roku remote and press the small pairing button present below the battery compartment.
- The aspiring process will take a few seconds. You will see the screen on your TV that says Check Remote Settings.
- Press the buttons and try the volume buttons on your TV. If the buttons and their functions work, you are good to go.
Disable Private Listening
Some Roku devices and TV models let you listen to TV audio via your mobile phone’s app. This is a useful feature when you want to watch a movie late at night but don’t want to disturb anyone. If the feature has been enabled, then you will not be hearing audio coming out of the TV speakers. Here are the steps to disable private listening on your Roku TV.
- Launch the Roku app. It is available for free on Android and iPhone.
- Sign into the app with the same Roku account used with your Roku TV.
- Connect your mobile device to the same wifi network as that of the Roku TV.
- In the Roku app, select the Devices tab at the bottom right.
- Your Roku device will now be displayed here. Select it and choose the Remote option.
- You should see the headphones icon at the bottom right.
- Tap on it to get out of private listening mode.
Check For Software Updates
Software updates for your smart Tv help to fix a ton of issues that could be causing problems in using the TV. These updates can also help fix some bugs that might have crept up. Here are the steps to update your Roku TV.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Scroll and select the Settings option.
- Choose System, followed by Software Update.
- Click on the Check Now button. The TV will connect to the internet and download any software updates if available.
- Once the updates have been installed, press the volume buttons to see if they function. If they do, well and good. If they don’t, you might want to follow the next and final step.
Reset Roku TV
The last and final option if none of the above works is to perform a factory reset. A factory reset will erase all data that is stored on your Roku TV. This will include accounts, downloaded apps, and even customized settings. So before you, perform a factory reset, make a note of everything. Now, follow these steps to reset your Roku TV.
- Grab the remote and press the Home button on it.
- Select Settings followed by System.
- Under System, choose Advanced System Settings, and finally Factory Reset.
- You can choose the Factory Reset Everything option to delete everything and completely reset the Roku TV.
- Once the Reset process has been completed, set up the TV and check the volume buttons. The function should now be working as expected.
This concludes the guide on how you can fix the issue with the volume buttons on your Roku remote not working properly. If the buttons still don’t work after resetting your Roku TV, the best you can do is buy a new replacement remote for your Roku TV or just get one of those handy dandy universal remote controls. Either way, both remotes will work just fine with your Roku TV.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.