Been planning to watch your favorite TV show or movie, and only realized that your Onn Roku TV refuses to connect to the internet? Even restarting the TV did not fix it? Yes, a lot of us have been in a similar situation and often get very upset about the TV not functioning properly. If you are someone that has faced a similar issue or is facing an issue with their Onn Roku TV not connecting to the internet, this is the guide you need to read through.
You see, modern smart TVs require you to be connected to the internet in order to watch or stream your favorite content. Sure, it wouldn’t mean anything if you were using a cable network to watch your content. But, what if you wanted to cast something from your mobile device to your smart TV and found that it simply refuses to connect to the internet? Well, there lies your problem. However, we have a number of troubleshooting fixes that you need to try to solve the issue of your Onn Roku TV not connecting to the WiFi network.
Fix Onn Roku TV not connecting to WiFi
Because you know how important a WiFi connection is to the TV, it is important to get the function back to work. Before going into the various fixes, we first need to understand the various reasons why your Onn Roku TV is not connecting to the internet.
- The WiFi network could be having issues
- TV’s recent software update could have broken the function
- A glitch with the software
- TV might be blocked from connecting to the internet
Now that we know the various reasons as to why your Onn Roku TV is not connecting to the internet, it is now time to make use of the various troubleshooting fixes to help solve the issue of your Onn Roku TV not connecting to the internet.
Check Your Internet
As it is with the internet, there can be times when it could be the root cause. So, it is best if you can connect any other device to your WiFi network and see if those devices connect. If they can’t connect to the internet, it is time for you to ring up your ISP and ask them to have a look into what is going on. If you feel that your internet connection is fine, it is possible that your Onn Roku TV will require some troubleshooting.
Forget WiFi Network on Onn Roku TV
The other reason why the TV might not connect to the WiFi is probably because of the changes in its password. So, it is best to make the TV forget the WiFi network and connect back to it again. Here are the steps you need to follow to forget the network on your Onn Roku TV.
- Power up your Onn Roku TV and grab the TV remote.
- Now, press the Home button on the remote to bring up the Settings for your Roku TV.
- With the Settings menu open, navigate and select System.
- Under System, you need to select Advanced System Settings followed by Network Connection Reset.
- Select Reset Connect and press the OK button.
- When you perform this step, the TV will forget all network connections.
- At the same time, your TV will now reboot without any networks saved in its memory.
Considering that your WiFi network is working perfectly, you now need to connect your Onn Roku TV to the WiFi network. Follow these steps to connect to a network on your Roku TV.
Connect Onn Roku TV to WiFi
- Press the Home button and navigate over to Settings > Network and finally Wireless.
- Choose Setup new WiFi Connection.
- Select your WiFi network and then enter the password.
- Your Onn Roku TV should now connect to the internet right away.
Check for Software Updates
Now, it could be possible that the TV might not be able to connect to the WiFi network because of a bug that might have been entered via a software update. So, the best way to fix this is to see if your TV has a software update that addresses and fixes this issue. If you have an ethernet cable, you can connect it to your TV to download any update that has been made available after the issue. Otherwise, you can simply install the update manually by following the steps below.
- First, you will require a PC with internet access and also a USB drive with at least 1 GB of free storage.
- Using your favorite web browser, head over to the Roku software download page.
- With the page open, you will have to select your TV brand, followed by the Roku Model number, and finally the serial number.
- Once you have entered aloof this information, you will be able to download the software file for your Onn Roku TV.
Install the update
- Copy the firmware file to your USB drive and now plug it into the USB port of your Onn Roku TV.
- Press the Home button on the remote and navigate to Settings > System > Software Update.
- Choose the option that says I Can’t connect to the internet.
- The Onn Roku TV will now scan for USB drives that are plugged in.
- With the update file found, the TV will display a 12-digit code. You need to enter this code into the Roku website. (the same place after you have downloaded the firmware file)
- The website will return you with a six-digit code. Enter the code onto your TV.
- The TV will now begin to install the software update.
- With the update complete, you should now be able to connect your Onn Roku TV to the internet.
Disable Internet Pings on Roku TV
- Power up the Onn Roku TV and have the TV remote with you.
- Press the Home button five times.
- Next, press the fast forward button once as well as the play button and the rewind button.
- Now, press the play button followed by the fast-forward button.
- The TV will now display a screen. You will see a system Operations menu.
- Navigate to and select the Disable Network Pings option.
- With the option disabled, press the Home button on your TV remote.
- You can forcefully restart the TV by pressing the Home button five times.
- And then press the UP button once followed by pressing the rewind button and the fast forward button twice.
- The TV will now freeze and a black screen will be displayed.
- Within a few moments, your TV should reboot.
Factory Reset Onn Roku TV
Factory resetting your Onn Roku TV will erase everything on your TV and will let you start your TV from fresh like the first time you unboxed it. There are two ways you can follow to factory reset your Onn Roku TV.
- Press the Home button on your Onn Roku TV remote.
- Scroll and select the Settings option in the menu.
- Now, you need to select the option that says System.
- And finally, select Advanced System Settings.
- Select Factory Reset followed by Factory Reset Everything.
- Now, enter the 4-digit code that is being displayed on the screen.
- The TV will begin to perform a factory reset on your Onn Roku TV.
This method is a simple and fast way to factory reset your TV. All you need to do is to look for the button at the back of your Tv that says reset. It will be placed either on the right side or the left side of your TV. You need to use a PIN or a Pen to press the button. But, make sure that your TV is switched on in order to perform this reset.
And this is how you can fix your Onn Roku TV to now connect to the wifi network. If at all for some reason, your TV is still not able to connect to the WiFi, it would be best to contact the service center and see if they can help you sort out the issue. This works best if your TV is under the warranty period. Because if the issue cannot be fixed, the best you can get is a new replacement for your Onn Roku TV. Also, it is advisable to not disassemble the TV if it’s under warranty because if you damage any internal components by mistake, you will lose your warranty coverage right away.
Have you faced such an issue with your Onn Roku TV? If so, what troubleshooting methods have you followed, and what was the end solution? Let us know about it in the comments below.
More Related Articles: