To have an official and activated version of Windows, you must have a Product key. What is a Product key? Well, it is a 25 character long key used to activate your copy of Windows. If you want to upgrade/reinstall Windows using ISO then you may need a Product key to activate the Windows if it is not activated digitally. Usually, Windows gets activated once you log in with the same mail from your previous Windows. But if you want to manually enter the product key here’s how to find Product Key on Windows 11. It also works on other Windows versions.
If you have an activated copy of Windows, Microsoft ensures that the product key is being used by only one system. If another computer tries to use the same key, it will not work and you will get a message saying the key has been used. Product keys also define that you have an actual and legally purchased copy of Windows. Now, why would want to look for the product key of your OS? Well, maybe you might want to check and ensure that is a legit key and not a duplicate or a fake one. Let’s take a look at how to look for the product key on your Windows 11 system.
How to find Windows 11 Product Key
There are a few ways to check for the product key on your Windows 11 PC. Fun Fact: You do not need to use any of these third-party programs that you see on the internet to get your product key. All the methods that we have mentioned below can be used easily without any third-party software.
Method 1: Using Command Prompt
- Open the Start menu on your Windows 11 PC.
- Type in Command Prompt in the search bar.
- When you see the Command Prompt app in the results select it and then click on Run As Administrator.
- With the command prompt open and running, simply copy and paste this command
wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
- With command pasted, simply hit the Enter key.
- The product key of your system will then be shown in the next line. You can then copy and paste the key anywhere that you wish to save it.
Method 2: Using Windows PowerShell
- With the start menu open, type in Windows PowerShell.
- In the results, select it and then click on the Run as Administrator option.
- Now that Windows Powershell is open, simply copy and paste the following command
powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey"
- With command pasted, hit the Enter key.
- In a few seconds, the Windows Powershell will return your Windows 11 Product key.
Method 3: Using Registry Editor
- To open the Registry Files on your PC, press the Windows and R key to open the Run dialog.
- Now, type in Regedit in the search bar and hit enter.
- The Registry Editor will ask for Admin Privlelages to open. Allow it.
- Now, in the address bar of the Registry Editor window, copy and paste the following path
- Hit enter when you paste the path.
- Now, look to the right-hand side of your Registry Editor.
- Look for the BackupProductKeyDefault value.
- When you spot it, look towards its right.
- You will now spot the Product key of your Windows 11 PC.
And that is how you can get the product key of your Windows 11 PC. If you have purchased the physical copy of the OS, you will find the product key on a sticker at the back of the box. But, if you might have purchased it online, then you can simply check your email and look for the bill. The bill mentions your Operating System’s product key.
Windows 11 Guides: